Trouble with legs

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Trouble with legs

Postby the 4ks » Mon May 21, 2007 7:32 am

Ken has been having alot of trouble the last week or so, saying that his legs are feeling really weak. And he has also been falling alot. My observations have been that I see him a little shakey sometimes when he is standing up and I do see his legs wobble almost like Jello and then he falls.
After we talked about it I do think that this has happened before and then a couple of weeks later it got better.
I'm making him use his walker...even around the house, but he doesn't like it any :oops:
Do any of your legs feel like this? and then did it get better?
Thanks for your help.
the 4ks

Postby Debbieducati » Mon May 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Before I was Diag. I had temp. Paralysis of my legs. They did not know why. Then one year later they found the Syrnix. I do have weakness from time to time and yes I do fall from time to time. I was told by my nurologist that when I have a flair up this could happen. When the syrnix becomes bigger it puts pressure on the spinal cord itself, this can cause pressure on the nerves that control the limbs. I started traction two weeks ago and have found it to be very helpful. If you have not seen your doctor for the weak legs, you need to. Make sure you ask about the traction. I found a good one on the net. Look up neck brace. They have a lot to choose from. Good luck to you.

Love to all

Debbieducati

SM C5-7
Debbieducati

Postby svennobalance » Mon May 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Weakness was what got my mris done asap - I ended up weak and numb on the right side. Since surgery I've gotten strength back, a bit of feeling, some coordination.
Gabriel
chiari, decompressed dec 05, syrinx, hydro, baclofen pump October 2007, rev jan '08, VP shunt April 2009
svennobalance

Postby mac » Mon May 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Penny, I don't have CM or SM, as you know. But boy oh boy, the legs are a major thing alright! I bet you could get hundreds of folks come here and reply to your post about their legs and feet. They get so weak and so painful! I can see why your dh is feeling shakey. You are sure a wonderful wife to insist he use the walker. Don't want him falling and hitting his head!

bless you!

mac
mac

Postby hartagold23 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:02 pm

Yes, that's my main problem--leg weakness and falling (plus partial paralysis). I also use a walker...at age 45...but it's a necessary evil that is keeping me safe until my TC surgery...

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby the 4ks » Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Ken is 45 also so he feels really old using his walker :oops: :?
He is doing a little better so my guess is he is just having a flare up. Which has happened before, and it sounds like flair ups are somewhat common.
My family told me that they don't think Ken is looking well. They are saying that his color is off. I don't see it maybe its because I see him everyday and they don't. I do notice that he can't take the heat so I've turned the air on, he was sweating really bad and he did look pale and gray. I've tried to explain this to the family but didn't get thru to them. Of course his family isn't any help because they think that he is "healed" because he had decompression surgery done. :twisted: Thats another story in itself.
I did set Ken up for a complete physical which he will be none to happy about. But I want blood work done to see if something is going on.
He is not having any problems with bladder, breathing, heart or anything.
I just think that maybe my family isn't used to him having flare ups and since he is having one they are worried.
I don't know. :roll:
the 4ks

Postby mac » Tue May 22, 2007 3:56 pm

Penny, sounds like they are finally seeing what you and Ken are dealing with on a daily basis! That's at least a good thing, and something you can use to precipitate the subject of just what he's going through, and you as a caretaker.

I hope things turn around soon for you both.

hugs, mac
mac

Postby kalb15 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:01 pm

For those of you that have a syrinx. Where is it located? Mine is cervical and since my surgery I have terrible pain in my left foot. If has effected the entire foot and toes. It is about every kind pain you can describe. I sometimes have pain in the left knee as well along with a little in the entire leg but not that often.

No one really thinks it is caused from the cervical cord damage but after two nerve conduction tests and a lumbar MRI so far the symptoms have not been explained.
kalb15

Postby the 4ks » Wed May 23, 2007 10:21 am

Kens was from brain stem to the bottom of t-spine. But there is only a residual amount left since is decompression in 2004.
the 4ks

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders