Sleep!!! I need sleep!!! Anyone have any suggestions

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Sleep!!! I need sleep!!! Anyone have any suggestions

Postby christinewebb » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:48 am

I wanted to find out is anyone was able to get a good bed from the insurance company. I am currently sleeping on an air mattress because that is the only thing I can seem to fall asleep on at this point without waking up in such pain it drives me crazy.

I was looking into one of the sleep number beds and wanted to know if anyone else had one or was looking into getting one and was able to get some sort of idea if it was approved by the insurance company.

Any information helps! Thanks and God Bless! Christine
Christine in LV NV; Do not fear, you are blessed beyond your imagination...

Car accident Oct 05 -DX Jan 07 SM T1-T6; back surgery 06 2 plates & 8 screws; 3 kids and a dh that suffer along side of me each day
christinewebb

Postby SandyBeach » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:39 am

I have heard that some people have had luck with the sleep number beds.
I tried the temperpedic bed and returned it after eh 30 day trial. It retains your body heat and when my back hurts it gets hot. I found that no matter what covers I had on, I was always hot. It also doesn't respond immediately when you roll over. So you need to wait a few seconds for the bed to catch up to you. That was really uncomfortable also.

I finally got a high quality firm mattress that works the best. I still can't sleep all night because of the pain, but taking ice packs to bed every night helps. I found some ice packs that stay frozen for up to 18 hours. They are wonderful.

Look through some of the other posts on this site. There's more about the sleep number bed.
SandyBeach

help help need sleep

Postby christinewebb » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 am

Sandy,

Thanks for the information on the Temperpedic beds, I was curious about them if they help. I have gotten the information on the sleep number bed but the one that I think would be best costs over 4K and when there is only one person working in the family, it makes it impossible to afford. I am going to ask my dr if I can get a prescription for one. Maybe the insurance co will cover it.

Thanks again!!! Christine

Car accident Oct 05 -DX Jan 07 SM T1-T6; back surgery 06 2 plates & 8 screws; 3 kids and a dh that suffer along side of me each day
christinewebb

sleep!!

Postby christinewebb » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:26 am

Ok, I finally did something I have been thinking about for a long time - I ordered a craftmatic adjustable bed with heat and massage.

I should receive it soon and will let you all know how it is. I am hoping for relief. I pray it will come.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!
Chris

christinewebb

Postby Janice » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Christine,

I went online and read about it. Seems like you made a good choice.

Yes, please so let us know how you like it.

Thanks for the update.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

sleep!!

Postby christinewebb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:25 am

Ok all, I wanted to post an update on the craftmatic bed I ordered. Although I do love it, it has heat and massage and raising both legs and back to make life easier, I did have one little mishap with it so far.

I turned the massage on one night before falling asleep, it turns off on its own after about 20 minutes so I thought nothing of it. I must have been sleeping on it weird because it only happened that one time, but when I woke up, it felt like the massage was still on!

I was vibrating from the inside out, yes I know that sounds strange. Any how, I could not stop it, I thought long and hard and realized that I had to call the doctor after a day and a half. I went to the ER, but they could not help me. It turns out, it was a pinched nerve as far as I could tell. I asked my sister who is a massage therapist to rub my back out. After she did, it stopped vibrating. I was still dizzy, but at least I did not feel like I was still vibrating any more.

So, that has been my experience thus far. Other than that, very comfortable and well worth it.
Good sleeping everyone! Chris

christinewebb

Postby Janice » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 am

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the update. It was interesting (and scary) to hear about your experience but thankfully your sister was able to help you. New symptoms always initially scare me. It's the unknown, is it here to stay or will it go away?

Did you ever check into the insurance factor? If so, what information did you receive? If not, maybe you can take Keesha's advice in at least getting the doctor to approve it so you can write it off on your taxes under DME.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Beach4me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:20 am

My mom who has multiple back problems (on disability), has a TempurPedic. It is adjustable for feet and head, as well as going up and down.

She loves it and being able to move it up and down greatly helps her get out of bed.

I always jump in her bed when I go to visit....it sleeps so well.
Beach4me

Re: Sleep!!! I need sleep!!! Anyone have any suggestions

Postby Christine Schultz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 am

If you are interested in an adjustable bed - and are afraid of high pressure sales people at Craftmatic - check with your local furniture stores to see if they carry them. I was surprised to find two stores in my area that made them. They had samples you could try out too. I ordered mine from a company called Verlo Mattress Factory. (They use a Legget and Pratt bed frame/motor which is the same as Craftmatics) My husband and I ordered a king size bed and split it down the middle so my side could adjust and his was just a regular bed. We were able to choose any mattresses we wanted for our sides including the Tempurpedic Material or the Adjustable Air kind. I just picked the softest mattress I could find and my hubby picked a firmer one. I've had the bed for about 4-weeks now. It took a few nights to get used to... I felt like I was going to roll out of it at first. I guess because its kind of like a hospital bed without the rails! I can't lay flat to sleep and I move around a lot because I wake up in pain when I am in one position too long. So this bed is very helpful for that. It is a million times more comfortable than the LaZboy chair I'd been sleeping in for the last 4 years! Oh - and in case you were wondering, the total cost was about $3,150 (my adjustable bed frame was $1400, his was $500, plus $1250 for the two custom made mattresses) Thank God for 0 percent financing! Worth every penny.
Christine Schultz

Postby JaneMWM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:49 am

http://www.sealy.com/TrueForm/TrueForm.aspx

It's horribly expensive, but I can't sleep on anything else. It does hold in heat, like another poster wrote, but I don't mind. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's tall.
JaneMWM

Postby lavala » Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 pm

I have a Serta with 3" memory foam topper. I got a great topper, good price at Overstock, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ec ... oduct.html
lavala

Postby karenb » Sun May 16, 2010 11:55 pm

I have a Sealy. I tried the memory foam topper about 3 years ago, but found that I was retaining heat so badly I couldn't sleep. I now have a plus cuddly mattress pad, and it provides protection for achy joints. In terms of mattresses, I've struck out with insurance - shoot, they won't even pay to replace the pillow they bought me years ago!!!
One things that helps me with pain & sleep is my homemade hot-pack - 10 lbs rice in a pillow protector (zipped), followed by a flannel pillow case - nuke it for 5 minutes & flop it on top of a couple really old pillows. It sounds crazy, but when I drape my legs over it, I'm able to relax and fall asleep pretty well. I use it off & on throughout the day - especially morning & bedtime. The only drawback is when a hot-flash hits! :lol:
karenb

Return to Equipment/Accessibility