Post-op and feeling good!

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Post-op and feeling good!

Postby *Hope* » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi all! I haven't shared my surgery story yet, but this seems like the right place and the right time. :D

As most of you know, I got sick around the beginning of the year and had so many battles finding help after my CM diagnosis. What a nightmare that was. After finding this board, chatting with so many of you, and doing TONS of reading...I took the plunge.

I had Posterior Fossa Decompression (PFD) w/duraplasty & C1 laminectomy about a month and a half ago. It's been quite the journey, but I don't have any regrets. The first couple of weeks were great while I was still on the meds. The third and fourth week were tough, but the last 2-3 weeks have been a steady improvement. I learned that there will be bad days after good days during this healing process, but that's OK because they pass too. My hair is growing back freakishly fast, and the incision is just tender now. I'm still dealing with random headaches.

The ASAP site, these boards, and its members have been a true blessing to us.

It's funny to read how bright-eyed and happy I was in this post. It's been over a year since surgery now. I don't regret my surgery, but I sure didn't keep the freedom I can feel just reading my post. I haven't had a good day in a long time. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Last edited by *Hope* on Mon May 24, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CM1
*Hope*

Re: Post-op and feeling good!

Postby tnglitter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:36 pm

Hope,

What a great recovery!!! The feeling that you describe being able to drive and plant bulbs in the garden again is so wonderful to read about. Sounds like you're doing extremely well post-op and the symptoms are at least lessening. What a great feeling that must be!

btw - I think Dr. Oro is in Colorado, is that correct? Read something somewhere about him being affiliated with the University of Missouri - but that may be outdated info.

Mega Congrats to you, your family and Dr. Oro!!! May your miraculous recovery continue..... :D

Rhonda
T Spine SM T8-T12 (9 mm) Syringopleural Shunt & Laminectomy T10/T11 5 Jan 09
C spine Disc bulges/canal narrowing/DDD
L spine Spondylosis/DDD

Mom of 3 daughters & MiMi to 2 grandsons & 1 granddaughter
tnglitter

Postby *Hope* » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:25 am

Thank you so much for the kind words Rhonda!

You're right, Dr.Oro is in Colorado now. Here is the website:

http://www.chiaricare.com/Welcome.html
CM1
*Hope*

Postby wendi » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:12 am

Hope:

Blame it on Chiari brain, but I did not know you were having PFD?!!How come? I don't remember a post saying you were going in? I am so sorry to not wish you well, I remember our little funny chat. I am so happy that you are recovering so well.

I have to give you my standard speech. Please even tho it has been a few weeks, do not over do things. You do not want a set back. You have had brain surgery and it can take up to a year to heal completely. Make sure to get enough rest and not to try and clean the whole house even if you have all that energy.

I am so glad you were able to get to Dr Oro and have the PFD. I hope you stick around and be an inspiration to others who have just begun this cm/sm journey. They need people like you to know that like your user name, there is Hope.

Take care,
Wendi in PA
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby Janice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 am

I didn't realize you had surgery either but I'm thrilled to hear that surgery went well and recovery is also. I agree with Wendi and the speech she gave. Take it easy and take good care of yourself.

Take care, (((((hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby *Hope* » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:58 pm

You guys aren't crazy. Well, at least not for that reason. :lol: I didn't post about the surgery until now. I didn't want to focus on it pre-op, but felt compelled to post the updates post-op. I didn't have internet access for quite a while, but wanted to come back to give updates, check in on all of you, and help as much as possible.

Thanks for the well wishes Janice. I assure you that I'm being very careful. Active, but careful. :wink:

Wendi, I remember that convo too. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. :lol: That was right before I went to CO the first time. Remember...I said that you would be stalking me and running after me in a circle?! LOLOlolol! Oh man...you crack me up!
CM1
*Hope*

Postby wendi » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Yup. I almost signed this post, your stalker. No wonder you didn't tell us. You were afraid, I would fly out to Colorado and stalk you in the Neuro ward at the hospital. Nope, too close to the pysche ward for me. 8) :lol: They can't find me here in PA, PA, I mean CA, yeah right, I live near you Janice. Just kidding girls.

Hope, I am glad to make you laugh. It makes us feel better to have some giggles every now and then.

Take care,
Wendi in PA
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby Sharondenise » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks for the update on your surgery and wondeful to hear it was a success and that you are doing so much better. Dr. Oro is also my NS and I live in N.C. I traveled to see him last Jan. where he dx me with a 6mm herniation and also cervival spinal stenosis. I returned to him last March for the spinal surgery and we decided to watch and wait on any surgery for the Chiari. Now that I have healed from the surgery last March, I find myself dealing with several annoying and troublesome symptoms that are more than likely related to the Chiari...hence the reason we waited. Dr. Oro suggested last time we spoke that he thought the less invasive decompression would be best for me and I was wondering what kind of surgery you had and what were your symptoms. Thanks so much and look forward to hearing from you. :)

Sherry
Sharondenise

Postby *Hope* » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Sherry.

I sent you a Private Message. :D
CM1
*Hope*

Return to Share Your Success Story!