water slides

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

water slides

Postby eilersfamily » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:54 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has been advised to stay away from water slides? Our son was decomp last November and I am curious to hear any info.

Thanks~

Blessings,
Rachel
eilersfamily

Postby angie7 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:56 pm

I have never heard of staying away from water slides but I know roller coasters or anything that distorts your G-force should be avoided...
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby keggler » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:09 pm

Altho quite fun--I'd use a bike type helment on small children---tell others to be careful

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
"You are what you eat----and-----You are what you think"

"Be Good To Yourself"
CM1-S/M-Basilar Invagination
keggler

Postby SMLady » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:39 pm

Wow, that's a good question. Have you asked your doctor? I think I would do that before I took a chance. I hope he/she says it's okay.

Take care.
SMLady

Postby drummergrl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm

my ped. neuro told me that I can now go on rollercoasters, waterslides, etc. (which is good because I'm going to disney for sb lol). I don't know the reasoning behind it, but I was just told that I'm clear now. I'll probably still pick my coasters carefully though. Even if I'm medically allowed, I still have my worries. Each neuro is probably different, though. I'm 7 months post op and got the "all clear" at barely 6 mo.
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby nmf618 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:13 pm

it all depends on the person. me personally i had decomp surgery in nov 03 and by feb i was rowing crew. i made it to nationals in florida (may) and went to disney after. i went on every ride in the parks and also in the water park. i wasnt going to let it stop me from having fun but i also knew my limits.
nmf618

water slides

Postby brianfsmom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi

I see this is a bit old of a thread, but I just rediscovered this board and had to reregister my name! :-)

Last summer we specifically asked our son's neurosurgeon AND neurologist about water slides and we were told yes, he can do any of them. They do not recommend roller coasters and are generally conservative. Of course, I am still anxious, but I did let him go on.

Brian is almost 12 and was decompressed in February 2005.
brianfsmom

water slides

Postby eilersfamily » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. We are going to Wisconsin Dells next week, I am sure Jaxon will have lots of fun going on the slides.

Many Blessings,
Rachel- Iowa
eilersfamily

Return to Pediatrics