So far, so good

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

So far, so good

Postby jaydee » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:45 pm

I was scheduled for decompression surgery Nov. 7th. Got a call Oct. 7th, that if I could get to Madison (UW Hospital, 2 1/2 hours away) the next day that they would push me through the pre-op and do surgery on the 9th of Oct. I had quit my part-time teaching job for the semester and was spending my time at home worrying about the surgery. My husband was all for doing this asap, so we made a few phone calls and headed north.
The surgery was Oct. 9, I was 2 days in ICU, then moved to a regular room for 3 days and then to the Rehab floor. I am so glad my surgeon told me just what to expect...that there would be pain and it would get worse before it got better. Just knowing what to expect made it easier to handle. I had Guillain-Barre Syndrome 4 years ago and the still damaged nerves from GBS did not like the invasive procedure of PFD. For that reason I landed in Rehab where some wonderful people helped me get back home sooner than anybody expected. I will have a CT scan in a couple of days and get the stitches out and get on with recovering.
I'm thankful that I didn't have that extra month to worry about the surgery. Everything happens for a reason. The worst was being 2 1/2 hours away from my daughter when she gave birth to my 4th grand baby.
I am sleeping through the night for the first time in 4 years. The meds may be helping that, but at least they are setting me up for changing the erratic sleep pattern I was trapped in. I have numbness in the right leg and left side of my head, but rather numb than pain! And that may go away with time. I gave up my walker 2 days ago, that would be less than 15 days out of surgery. No headaches so far, neck pain is just from the surgery not the sensation I was having before.
I'm very aware of how important it is to go slowly toward recovery, but each day is a day closer to getting back the old me.
I started a post after being diagnosed with Chiari 1 about post surgery successes and was unnerved by how many of you did not have a lot of success. It is for that reason that I'm posting to say I'm glad I did it. It's easier to make that statement now that the surgery is over, but at this point it seems to have been a good decision.
I'm thankful for this site that educated me on Chiari 1 when I had so many questions.
Thanks to you all, hope all your good days out-number the bad days.
JayDee
Rest if you must, but don't ever give up.

Guillian-Barre' Syndrome -2004
Diagnosed with Chiari 1Malformation-Sept. '08
Posterior Fossa Decompr. Surgery- Oct. 8, 2008
jaydee

Re: So far, so good

Postby Janice » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm so happy to hear that you're home recovering well. I'm sorry that you were dx'd with two (non-curable) neurlogical disorders. They have overlapping symptoms which probably made it difficult to know exactly where your symptoms were coming from.

Thank you for posting and letting us know how well you're doing since surgery. Thank GOD they were able to fit you in ahead of schedule. Sounds like you were full of anxiety knowing you'd have to wait.

Take care, you're in my thoughts and prayers for continued healing. (((((hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Re: So far, so good

Postby Amy Joe » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:18 am

JayDee
So glad to hear you are recovering well and at home, me too. I also am very thankful my NS told me the ups and downs and what to expect, makes a big difference doesn't it?

I hope that you are taking it easy and napping! No bending over to pick things up off the floor, that's an order!!!! :wink:

The next 4 weeks are going to be killers for us both. We will really start to feel better and want to do things but WE WON"T.

If you get the urge to do something...........email me or PM. I will send out my Watch Dog!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Return to Share Your Success Story!