Disease threated to sit me down and now I do stand-up comedy

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Disease threated to sit me down and now I do stand-up comedy

Postby mcdpmp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 pm

My name is Doc the Comedian. I have Syringomyelia. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I was told the reason I was having such a hard time standing, moving, walking and the pain was because of it. I elected to have the operation with the shunt and after 4 operations, each with a high chance of never standing again and long term pain, I refused to give up, but don't get me wrong, it would have been easy to and more than once I almost did. Here is the cool thing, I DID NOT!!! I now scuba dive, vacations that require lots of walking and even do my favorite thing... STANDUP COMEDY!!! How funny is that. Anyone reading this that is looking for hope. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am not at my old 100% and will not ever be like I use to, but I have a new 100% and it's the now. Don't let this beat you, you can win in your own way. I'll root for anyone that needs it. If you need a little inspiration, take a look at my website http://www.comediandoc.com and you will see me walking, standing and doing my thing with only 3 Advil at night before I go to sleep... but that’s it. I also have a MySpace and a Facebook account that you can get to from my website... do drop by and say hi...

Doc the Comedian
http://www.comediandoc.com
mcdpmp

Re: Disease threated to sit me down and now I do stand-up comedy

Postby lori1218 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:07 pm

WELCOME, and thanks .
lori1218

Re: Disease threated to sit me down and now I do stand-up comedy

Postby tattoodlb1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 am

Hey Doc,
Thanks for posting... you have a very interesting profession. Thank you for posting and I'm glad that you were able to get the surgery and that it worked out for you. Did you discover why you had a syrinx?

I will check out your site and myspace and facebook...

I am pretty funny myself, but now, most of my funny is because I am in such a brain fog that I do dumb things but laugh because they are funny as well.

Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

You should do some jokes about syringomyelia.... get the word out and get support for ASAP and stuff.

Hugs and glad you joined up with us here... this is a great site, supportive and full of wonderful folks.
Syringomyelia entire spinal cord including throughout conus, Chiari ? Hemangioma T2, Multiple Tarlov cysts; Empty sella & degenerative disc disease entire spine.. severe Fibromyalgia (central cord hypersensitivity).
tattoodlb1

Return to Share Your Success Story!