Two weeks post-op and counting.

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Two weeks post-op and counting.

Postby burntmedics » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:05 am

My nine year old daughter, Nina, underwent Chiari surgery on Feb. 9th at Cook Children's in Fort Worth. She required a posterior craniotomy, C-1 laminectomy, and duraplasty to decompress her 17mm Chiari. Her recovery has been remarkable, to say the least. She spent 16 hours in PICU, transferred to the surgical floor, and was playing Guitar Hero 48 hours later. Her neurosurgeon, Dr. Honeycutt, performed the surgery with the aid of an intra-operative MRI scanner which enabled him to determine the efficacy of the bony decompression prior to opening the dura, should the initial step succeed. Thankfully, Nina was not plagued by nausea and vomiting or severe headaches; rather, she complained of moderate neck pain that was easily controlled with occasional analgesics.

Now, bear in mind, I'm not saying this surgery is a walk in the park; many kids have a rough time during the post-op period and adults will likely have a more difficult recovery (relative to a child). A friend's adult child had the same surgery and spent a month in hospital compared to my daughter's four day stay.

Our first follow up with Dr. Honeycutt is set for Thursday, Feb. 26th and we are excited for him to see Nina's progress and answer some of our questions. The time from our introduction to Chiari and S.M. to surgery was a very quick 6 weeks. We are still reeling from all of this, but we are committed to our daughter's recovery and helping anyone else who is suffering with Chiari / S.M. or caring for someone with these diseases.

Do not give up,
Bret
burntmedics

Re: Two weeks post-op and counting.

Postby Amy Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 am

Bret and Nina, so happy for all of you that the surgery went well. I am sending prayers your way for continued improvement.

It is so amazing how well children recover vs. us old dogs......

Thank you for your post

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Re: Two weeks post-op and counting.

Postby hazel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:46 pm

(haha right! The younger they are the better they bounce back. I'm not as bouncy as I once was.) I'm amazed and ecstatic to hear your daughter is doing so well. Congratualtions. My surgery was over 10 years ago and they have made amazing strides in caring for children with this illness. You and she deserve a present. ^_^ My dad would make me yummy eggs as a treat post surgery. Also my mom got me a video to watch. She regreted that after watching it for the 30th time.
hazel

Return to Share Your Success Story!