26 years this month...

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

26 years this month...

Postby kccmass » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:15 pm

I have not been a very healthy person but in 1983 while pregnant with my second son I collapsed… later we found out that I have Syringomyelia. I was told it’s a progressive, incurable disorder of the spinal cord.... which meant that I had a cyst in my spinal cord causing a blockage of spinal fluid. The cyst was decompressed and my doctor made a shunt from one part of my cord to the other bypassing the obstruction. But the damage that was done while I waited for my surgery has left me in constant pain and with limited use of my arms and legs. The damage has been progressive but on the bright side, i am still married to the most wonderful guy, we are married 31 years this year. My oldest son is married and he gave me a great daughter, his wife. My baby is going to be 26 this year, he's a wonderful healthy man. I may be lacking in the health department but i am blessed with a wonderful family and great friends... I am lucky!
kccmass

Re: 26 years this month...

Postby tlserenity » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Hey! Yes we are truly blessed in that area!
Great to see you again!

((hugs))
Terry Lynne
*I am not my pain. I am not my past. I am that which has emerged.*
tlserenity

Postby hazel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 pm

I wasn't talking about it to anyone previous to this, but I have 13 years this month. It's been a hard month and it's easy to get blue, but with your story it encourages me. Thank you for taking the effort to be positive over something that is very hard to see the good in. If you can make 26 years, so can I. :) Congratulations!
hazel

Postby Daddy's GRITS » Sat May 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Great to hear! I'm @ 10 yrs. I had my first surgery the summer into my sophomore freshman year. I had shunt in 2000. During the first few years I was ok, because I thought that I would get better phyiscally, especially with noticeable limb & leg size difference. Then as the years passed with no improvement (other than no more bad headaches) I became depressed. To be honest I still am, because I can't "walk" normal. As stupid as this may sound I hate that I can't walk in high heels, sometimes I feel less than a young lady. I remember as a child playing in my mom high heels shoes, thinking I can't wait to be a grown-up/lady so that I can walk in heels. I've also thought women should wear heels and lipstick. :(
I am married, but we havent had a child yet. I want one, I'm going to have one, but I am scared to death. What if I trip and fall while pregnant? Or worst fall while holding my baby?
The stories/posts I read are encouraging, or least give me some sense of hope. I read about kids and hope they never feel like me about material things such as shoes, but to have strength like you to keep going on with life and make the beest out of it. I'm stuck somewhere in the middle.
"I can do all things, through Christ who strengthen me."
Daddy's GRITS

Postby Kathy2020 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:48 pm

26 years, congratulations. They did'nt know as much then as they do now. I'm 13 years, and 63 years old. Someone told me when you get older a lot of those problems are really complication by SM, resolved or not. Whithin the last couple of years I have had some trouble walking so I use a cane. The neck and sckull have pressure problems but I can deal with it, I think. I just found this site and am so happy I did. I believe in a saying, "when one cries the other tastes salt" I know the people in this chat know exactly what you've been through. Again, congratulations. Hope to see another post from you.
Chiara I, SM C1 to T10. Decompression 1994,
Kathy2020

Return to Share Your Success Story!