Decompression Sugery Recovery time

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Decompression Sugery Recovery time

Postby nature » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:42 pm

My daughter's surgery is in two days and I would like to get a realistic view of what her recovery will be like. How bad is the pain? Can the get up and around once they are home at all? The doc says it could be 8 wks before she can get back to school full time. Just wanted to hear how recovery was for some other children.
nature

Re: Decompression Sugery Recovery time

Postby drummergrl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 pm

How old is your daughter? I was 16 when I had my decompression, and while I certainly didn't feel 100% for a while (maybe 2 months), I was back in school part-time about 3 weeks post-op and full time not long after that. I was pretty weak, which is the main reason I needed to stay home. Also, my doctors were concerned about getting "bumped" and jostling my head, so they wanted me to be a little farther out from surgery before I was around lots of other people.

The pain for me wasn't ever horrible...I had been expecting so much worse in my head. Will she be at a children's hospital? The children's hospital I was at (and I'm sure all other children's hospitals as well) was incredible at managing my pain. I felt uncomfortable and in slight pain for a few days, but the staff was great at making sure I was as pain-free as possible. I was off any sort of prescription pain-killer by 2 weeks post-op with no problems at all. Once I was home (a week post-op for me) I wasn't up to much- I sat and visited or napped a lot, but after being home for a week I was taking regular walks with my mom and trying to get more active.

Your daughter will do great! I think you'll be surprised at how quickly she bounces back! Please let us know how her surgery goes- I'll be thinking of you guys!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby lttutrow » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 am

The first few days are the worst with pain, but with good medicines, it can be well controlled. My son had his surgery at the end of June, and was just ready to go back to school when it started mid August. My daugther had her surgery at the beginning of December, and returned at the start of Jan. after the Christmas break. Each child is so different though, and the procedure and recovery issues make the time very individualized. I don't know how old your daughter is, but in general, kids are motivated already to get back to playing and to their routines and so we kind of just let them each go at their own pace for recovery. If your daughter needs to, you can develop a 504 plan when she returns to school to allow for rest times, extra time on tests or homework, or whatever you think might be needed as she returns.
Best wishes,
Lori
lttutrow

Postby kater » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:32 am

I'm curious about this too--my son will be having surgery in March, and I was told he'd be able to go back to school 2 weeks after the surgery. (He won't because we have too far to travel for that.) But we are hoping that four weeks after surgery should be okay (the district's spring break is about when we'd return home.

Is that likely, or is the nurse being overly optimistic?
kater

Postby nature » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Hello everyone!

Sorry I havent replied. My daughter Tara (13) had her decompression (skull removal, dura opening and patch and removal of C1) on Wed. We spent one day in ICU. At first she was doing awesome, didnt even use her Morphine button. Then she started vomitting. That was really hard. It really hurt her. Yesterday, she had some vomitting in the morning after she got up to go to the bathroom for the first time. They transfered her out to a regular room about noon yesterday and she did ok for a while. Ate a few crackers and walked to the bathroom again. But then a really bad headache came on. NS said it could be from the flow of the fluid adjusting. Nothing seemed to help it, we couldnt turn on the lights and she slept with an ice pack on her head all night! But she woke up this morning feeling better, ate a couple of cookies and then walked around the nurses station. She s back asleep now but really seems to be doing better. NS said she should be able to go home by the end of the weekend if all keeps going well. Thanks for all the info from everyone! It so helps to hear from others dealing with this!

Nature and Tara
nature

Postby lttutrow » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks for updating us, so glad the procedure went well and hope she's home soon!!! (and that you're home soon, there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed ;)
lttutrow

Postby nature » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:02 am

OH YES! I AM SO READY TO BE BACK IN MY BED! My girl is such a trooper, hasnt even asked for pain med today. And doc said we could go home tomorrow! I am so thankful!

Nature
nature

Postby Chiari10 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Glad to hear your daughter is doing better. Shelbi was 10 when she had her decompression surgery. It was on a Wed., she was in a lot of discomfort on the first evening and the next full day, but by time she was moved out to her own room on Fri. she was ready to go over to the play room. She went home on Sat. and although she was running a low grade temp. she was feeling fine. One of her friends came to check on her and she was acting like nothing had ever happened. She was off Rx pain meds and was just alternating Tylenol and Motrin mainly for the fever before she even left the hosp. When I took her on the Wed.,one week post op., her NS said she could go back to school the next day. :shock: I did not agree with this and talked her nurse into at least writing the excuse until the beginning of the next week. Which I was still going to contemplate whether I sent her or not. Unfortunately she started leaking CSF that Sat. so back to the hosp. They stitched her up tighter on the outside and hoped that the fluid would just absorb back into her body, went home again on Tues. and started leaking CSF again on Thurs. They went back in to sew down the patch and she was got back out of the hosp. a few days later. So in the end she ended up being out of school for 4 weeks. And other then the immediate complications she has done great since. This was 3 years ago. I hope all continues to go well for your daughter.

Tina Peters
Shelbi-daughter 13yrs. CM, SM, basilar invagination, MoyaMoya
Chiari10

Postby nature » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Tina,

I am sorry to hear your daughter had a few complications. I guess this is the main reason for not pushing this recovery. I am very glad you told me because I was thinking she would probably be back to everything before the estimated 3 to 4 weeks. She is feeling really good right now, except for getting worn out easy. After visitors come she get pretty tired. But we are leaving the hospital tomorrow and I am going to really make her take it easy. I dont want to rush things and risk any complications. So thank you for the info.

It is so great to have this site! It truely is a blessing!

Thanks everyone!

Nature
nature

Return to Pediatrics