MRI shows change in syrinx size

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

MRI shows change in syrinx size

Postby SamuelsMom » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:13 pm

It's been awhile since my last post. Sam had his 6 month MRI on Monday. I'm left scratching my head, not knowing what to think. Sam's previous scans showed a syrinx measuring approx. 8mm with the exception of the scan done 6 months ago it said the syrinx measured 2mm....now this last scan says 6.9mm. I don't understand. Of course his NS is out until next week. I only know this as Sam's ped just read the radioligist report but really did not have answers for me. Do syrinx's do this? Any thoughts? The ped. said maybe we just had a generous radiologist with the last scan....but I say that's quite a difference??? Also, this scan was done without contrast and all the others have been with contrast. Would that make a difference? What is the contrast used for? Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to get any answers.
I guess I should mention that Sam's syrinx is considered idopathic. He has no interventions to explain any changes.
SamuelsMom

Re: MRI shows change in syrinx size

Postby lsobczak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

i have had similar situation with my kids mri's. some radiologists read and measure things with a slight variation. did your child have it done at the same hospital and mri machine? that can also make a possible difference. however if you get a copy of the mri disc each time your child has an mri you can yourself measure the mm of the syrinx on your own computer and compare them. keep us posted on what the neurosurgeon thinks..
lsobczak

Postby jupes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:25 am

Hello!

Good to hear from you again and hope Sam and everyone is doing well!

I have found that the radiologist measurement and the NS measurement differ some and the NS tends to pick up on other abnormalities that the radiologist doesn't always mention! It use to be frustrating but now I try to "ignore" the radiology report and go by the NS interpretation of the MRI.

As for contrast MRI, we only had one contrast done in the beginning when they were trying to rule out a tumor or other hidden cause for the idiopathic syrinx. Contrast gives a more clear picture than a regular MRI. All of our other MRI's now have been non contrast.

Keep us posted! Take care!
Julie
14 yr old DD with CM 0/SM and mild scoliosis.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
jupes

Postby SamuelsMom » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:44 am

Thank you both. You're right on with what I was told Julie....I am so glad you posted I was really questioning our hospital in my head and wondering what I should be doing. It's so frustrating.....I really believed that his syrinx miracously (sp) got smaller. You can imagine how let down I was when I got the news. Sam is doing great and feels great. I still struggle not knowing the cause of his syrinx and wonder if we should be doing something more to find answers. Sam has never had a csf flow test, do you think I should be asking this? Or is it just protocol to monitor a syrinx and if its stable leave it at that-------and then react if it changes or if Sam becomes sympomatic....... Anyway, thank you all!
SamuelsMom

Return to Pediatrics