Post Op Questions

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Post Op Questions

Postby itsme102376 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Hi,

My 5 year old son Matthew will be having decompression surgery on April 14th. I have been doing some research but would like to hear from others who have "been there done that" with their own children, what to expect after surgery? What type of things immediately post op, and also in the weeks following should I be on the look out for? What can be expected? And, does anyone know if the risk of death is low or high with this type of surgery? Thank you.

Crystal
itsme102376

Re: Post Op Questions

Postby Sara » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

In the right hands this is a very safe procedure. Is he being treated at a children's hospital? My daughter was in ICU for two nights then moved to a regular room. Her stay was about 5 days post op. The first three days were the worst, after that she really turned a corner and improved quickly. She was back at school half days in 4 weeks. She was almost 9 years old at the time of surgery. Make sure they treat his pain and if he is reluctant to move his neck a few days post op ask for a physical therapist to come and work him. they will provide some simple stretching excercises that can help alot.

Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Re: Post Op Questions

Postby itsme102376 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Thank you for the information Sara. Yes, my son is having the surgery at Comer Children's Hospital in Chicago. It is the children's hospital at the University of Chicago and Dr. Frim will be doing the surgery.
itsme102376

Return to Pediatrics