Surgery

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Surgery

Postby 3kidssane » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:47 pm

My daughter will be having Decompression surgery June 2. What is the recoverey like?
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Re: Surgery

Postby lcolangelo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:00 am

The first few days are rough-- they usually spend 1-2 nigts in ICU-- usally by the 3rd to 4th day they're up and running. Are they opening the dura? If so-- the recovery is a bit slower. By day 4 my son was riding a bicycle around the hospital-- home on day 6. He still has some headaches-- but it's remarkable how fast they bounce back! Good luck to you! We'll keep you in our prayers. Where is surgery? We're leaving on Thursday for Iowa-- my daughter is having surgery on the 19th.

Take care!
Lisa
lcolangelo

Postby acmebray » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:06 pm

My girls had surgery last Wednesday so I can only give you 5 days post op recovery info. I have twins that both had surgery. One is doing really good. She still is sleeping all most all of the time but doesn't seem to be in a whole lot of pain. The other seems to be in a great deal of pain. Has horrible headaches and either is sleeping or crying. It has not been fun. They are disabled also though and I don't know how much of their disability has to do with how well they are recovering or not. The nurses have told me that they are doing very typical for this surgery. Hope that helps a little.
acmebray

Postby 3kidssane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:20 am

Thank you ladies. yes they are opening the Dura.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Postby shannon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:03 am

I just want to share my son's story because I believe it will give you hope for a speedy recovery. He's six and he underwent decompression surgery (with duraplasty) around noon on March 10th. The very next day he was moved out of ICU and he actually got up and walked around! The first night after surgery in ICU was the hardest mainly because of the side effects of the anesthetics during surgery. We were able to leave the hospital on the 12th and he returned to school two weeks later (with restrictions like no PE or recess obviously). He's been off pain meds since two days after he left the hospital and is doing great.
I hope this helps you and I wish your family the very best. Let us know how everything goes!!

Shannon
shannon

Postby Gina217 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:17 am

I do not have advice to give right now but will post after my son's decompression on May 13th. Just wanted to thank you for your question because these are answers I need. Good luck!
Gina217

Return to Pediatrics