1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression

Postby momintexas » Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 am

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share that my 11 year old daughter had her decompression surgery done one year ago, on May 13th and is a complete success story! She is doing amazingly well and has no problems. All of her post-op appointments and MRI were great. She has returned to all activities, and actually has added more activities than pre-surgery because her headaches prohibited her from participating in all of the sports she wanted to. She is very active at school, no limitations, does dance/drill team, plays volleyball, and has just started running track.

She had a 21+mm herniation and had decompression and duraplasty performed by Dr. Dale Swift, Pediatric Neurosurgeon at Children's Medical Center in Dallas, Texas. Pre-surgery symptoms included daily headaches to the point of vomiting, numbness/tingling in extremities, vertigo, ringing in ears, some balance issue, drastic eye sight changes, severely blocked CSF flow resulting in her not bending over/changing positions often. Today, she has NONE of those symptoms!!!

I know there are many scary stories out there and not all of them have happy endings, but I want to give those of you embarking on this journey HOPE! Wishing you all the best!

One of the lucky ones,
Mom to Madison (11 yo)
Decompression/Duraplasty 5/13/2009
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/madsi
Mom to 9 yr old Madison - 19mm CMI diagonosed 2/2009
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/madsi
momintexas

Re: 1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression

Postby LindaPidgeon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 am

Congrats on your one year successful surgery...You Have such a beautiful and brave little girl....Its so nice to read a success story as I myself will probably be heading for decompression soon and your story has given me a bit more confidence about it....So a huge Thanks for Sharing and hope the healing continues...
Linda...xxx
LindaPidgeon

Re: 1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression

Postby sydney'smom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:50 am

Thank you so much for sharing. Our 10 yr old daughter was dx back in January of this year and we are now talking about surgery sometime in the next 6 months. Luckily her daily symptoms have all but gone away but her most recent MRI shows a Syrinx has formed. We are so fearful of the outcome of the surgery, so it is nice to read about your daughter doing so well.

Best of luck and I hope she continues to do well.
9 yr old daughter with 19mm CM and 1mm Syrinx.
See Dr. Di at Cleveland Clinic and am scheduling a 2nd opinion with Dr. Frim in Chicago.
sydney'smom

Return to Share Your Success Story!