OU childrens hospital in Okc Oklahoma... Terrible experience

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

OU childrens hospital in Okc Oklahoma... Terrible experience

Postby tchappell » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 am

Well our son had his TC surgery at ou childrens hospital in Okc Oklahoma on Wednesday June 2. We are still in the hospital. Surgery went well however he is not urinating on his own and they took his folley out today but had to straight cath him a few hours ago. They say he will be going home tomorrow. He has not even been out of his bed yet and no bowel movement and now this. I also thought being at a childrens hospital, OU at that we would recieve top notch treatment and our child would be well cared for. Boy was I ever wrong! My husband and I literally Administer all of his meds, nurses bring them and just "leave " them with us to administer! Only thing they give are intravenous. They do not turn him , we do that too, we change his bedding sponge bathe him all of it we do! On top of that he vomited in the floor around 10pm one evening and we cleaned it up the best we could with towels and housekeeping did not come til 8pm the next day! Are you kidding me! No wonder I am now an emotional wreck and in the bathroom crying and vomiting so my son doesn't see me because I don't want to stress him out any more than he already is. I want to scream! Oh and did I mention when they took his folley out the nurse put the folley full of urine in the trash can in our bathrrom and it was there all day til the bathroom reeked of urine! Why didn't the nurse just empty it in the toilet???? Wow! Oh and the in in his hand that they were administering his IV meds was leaking! I told her my son told her and she , the nurse, still never checked it or changed it just kept saying she would check it later.!!!! :cry:
tchappell

Re: OU childrens hospital in Okc Oklahoma... Terrible experience

Postby lttutrow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 am

Most hospitals have a staff called a patient advocate, I'd be asking to speak with the nurse in charge and requesting a visit from this person immediately!!!! I'm so sorry you are going through all of this with your son, and then to add this!
lttutrow

Postby tchappell » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:17 am

Thank you for your response. My husband and I talked with the charge nurse and she reassured us we would have a new nurse on next shift which is in one hour. She assured us it would not be the same one. She took notes of all our other complaints as well. She also has been running his straight cath herself. I am still just so disappointed in this hospital. We are still here and suppose to go home today. However he has still not got out of bed or sat up on his own yet. Do they not do physical therapy for tethered cord surgies? :?:
tchappell

Postby Becky1219 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:10 pm

So sorry you're having such a terrible experience. They should be trying to get him up by now as long as things are going okay. Are you able to be at the bedside when the docs round and the nurses do report between shifts? Don't be afraid to ask the nurse to call the doc to ask about getting your son up and moving. The sooner he gets moving the easier his recovery will be.
Becky, wife to Mike, mom to Logan 4/3/04 and Jack 5/4/07 30 weeker EA/TEF, bowel perforation, CM1, SM, TCS, hydrocephalus, metopic synostosis, thin corpus callosum, decreased myelin, and the many issues that go along with these
Becky1219

Postby tnajk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 am

My suggestions in no particular order....

1. Ask for a Patient Advocate!
2. Be awake and ready for rounds every morning. In our experience (At OU Children's, Denver Childrens and Comer Children's in IL) they come early, around 6am! Ask the Doctors lots of questions, don't let them get away without giving you answers.
3. If they've given the okay for your child to get up, start getting him up yourself. Sometimes I've seen nurses lack in that area thinking the parents will take the lead. (While I don't agree with it, that may be what's going on in your situation?)

Can I ask what Doctor your child has? (If you feel comfortable sharing, please PM me)

Finally, ((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))) I can sense your frustration and I'm so sorry you are all going through this. Hang in there.
Mom with 12 yr old son dx ACM1 & Pseudotumor Cerebri
tnajk

Postby tchappell » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 am

Well we are finally home. What a relief! I did speak to the charge nurse and wow what a 360. From that point on things were so much better. The charge nurse made sure everything was okay and checked on our son herself regularly. The nursing he had after that were all doing what needed to be done. Child life department came to check on him as well as Physical Therapy. So things definetly got better but, I am still so diappointed in the care that he received at a childrens hospital. Just glad to have him back at home and he is doing very well.
tchappell

Return to Pediatrics