Meningitis

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Meningitis

Postby 3kidssane » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:40 am

My DD had Decompression surgery on June 2nd. This past friday night her fever soike to 102.3. She was dizzy, and throwing up. We called the Doctor and he said to give her fever meds and watch her over night. The next day she was doing much better. Monday morning about 6:30am she woke up screamining with head pain and was running a temp of 101. We immidiatly took her to Children's Hospital ER. They did a CT, Labs and and spinal tap, and chest x-ray. After getting the results back from the ST they discovered that her white blood count and her protien levels were up. Also her blood sugar in the Fluid was low. Now they have admitted her and started her on VERY stong antibiotics. They think it could be meningitis, but are unsure of what strain. They also think she is having a reaction to the Dura patch. Has anyone else had this type of problem?
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Re: Meningitis

Postby lttutrow » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm so sorry!!!! I know in the All About Chiari/SM/Related Disorders section, others have talked about having a rejection or issues with their patches, but I don't have any direct experience with it. I think if you look back through this section, someone not so long ago was talking about their peds nsg. checking with others because he's finding issues with them recently?? Sorry I can't be of more help, but just wanted to let you know I'll be praying!
Lori
lttutrow

Postby 3kidssane » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Well, this morning around 5:30am we noticed that Hailey's hair was soaking wet. (still in hospital) When the NS came in shortly after we found out that her incision was leaking CSF. He put in two stitches to stop the leak. He later came in to let us know that there was that there was Fluid build up on her brain, and that they were going to need to operate. They put in an external shunt to begin draing the fluid, and reopened the previous surgical site to clean out infection, and find out where the leak was coming from. Hailey is out of surgery now, and all has gone well so far. SHe will be in the hospital for atleast another week. I'm trying to stay strong through all of this. I can't help thinking that maybe I made the wrong desicion to do the Decompression in the first place. I will try to keep you all updated.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Postby GrimeyGal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm

I am praying for her!

Patty
GrimeyGal

Postby Catherine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. My daughter Catherine had a terrible time with recovery as well. She had to have a lumbar drain put in after having severe intracranial pressure. The NS originally thought that it was the patch that caused hers and a couple other kids to have reactions. She is actually better now but it took several months and 4 hospital stays to get her better.

I wish you all the best and will be keeping your family in my prayers. It does get better.

Crystal
Catherine

Return to Pediatrics