Coughing...and symptoms return?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Coughing...and symptoms return?

Postby EHF » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Hello again...its been a while since I've been here!

My 6 year old son had a decompression at the beginning of February. He did fairly well afterwards. After May 1st, all of his restrictions were lifted. He seemed to tolerate exercise without pain and, all in all, was doing well.

A few weeks ago he developed a cold. The cold turned into a cough. For about 2 weeks, he's been coughing...alot. A week ago we noticed that he seemed "off." He was irritable, sleeping horribly (falling out of bed nearly every night b/c he's moving around so much) and just not himself. I took him to the pediatrician for what I presumed to be a sinus infection...he agreed that he likely had a sinus infection (based on symptoms) and started him on abx. Then yesterday when we were outside, he wasn't able to tolerate the sunshine. The light was "burning" his eyes (this used to be one of his symptoms). His face looks swollen...his eyes don't look quite right and he's also complaining of head, neck and shoulder pain in addition to eye pain. He started arching his back yesterday after coughing/crying (again, another thing he did pre-surgery - our NS told us that the back arching is textbook for kids with chiari so that they can relieve pressure). He seems miserable. My husband and I both agree that this is exactly how he acted pre-surgery. Now, I realize that he may feel badly b/c of the sinus infection, but I just have a feeling there's something more...I don't know.

Do you think coughing this much could have provoked symptoms again? If so, is this something that can happen temporarily? He has been doing so well...I don't want to have setback!

Thanks for your thoughts!
EHF

Re: Coughing...and symptoms return?

Postby lcolangelo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 am

I don't know if the coughing would have triggered a problem- but could possibly be a sign of re-compression. My 4 year old had a decompression surgery last August and by December was already having symptoms very similar to your son-- crying when he coughed, sneezed, cried, etc. The nsg did another MRI and found that he had regrown bone at the decompression sight as well as signifigant scar tissue. It's rather rare but can happen-- especially in young children. I would contact his nsg just to make sure- if his symptoms continue they may want to do another scan. I hope he is feeling better-- let us know how he is!
Lisa
lcolangelo

Re: Coughing...and symptoms return?

Postby EHF » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks for your reply. After watching this for a couple of weeks now, I'm really thinking that he may have had some sort of setback. He's coughing/choking when he eats and complaining of back pain and weakness in his arms and legs, especially after exertion, crying or coughing. He's continuing to arch his back too. These symptoms are very similar to his pre-surgery symptoms. I really hope I'm wrong but I plan on calling his neurologist in a couple of days so that I can report to him what we're seeing. This is discouraging because he had been doing so well - I hope this is just a temporary fluke.

I'll let you know what happens....
EHF

Return to Pediatrics