where is everyone from?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: where is everyone from?

Postby Graciesdad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 am

From Western Maryland here. Originally from Baltimore, but now live about 2 hours to the west.

Since we are discussing family names and lineage, we just discovered that our family is descended from Gouverneur Morris (My maternal grandfather's name) the financier of the Revolutionary War and author of the pre-amble to the Constitution. We have traced by maternal grandmother's family back to the 1500s to Bedfordshire England. They then came over and settled in Pennsylvania.

We just returned from Boston/Peabody, Ma for our 10 year anniversary this weekend and the reason we went there is due to my wife's research that she was descended from one of the "witches" hung during the 1692 Salem witch trials--Ann Pudeator. Alas we could not find definitive information as alot of records of the accused were destroyed due to their "crimes." However it was still a great trip and Cape Cod was amazing!!
Graciesdad

Postby hegnauea » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 am

GraciesDad,
That is so interesting wow! I born in Ohio but was raised in Danville, VA. Chrisw maybe you were referring to my mentioning that my parents still live there. Unfortunately I don't know any doctors down there. I think Danville Memorial Hospital was rated the WORST hospital in the United States a few years back. I've been trying to convince my folks to move since then :).

I've lived in the Northern Virginia and DC for the last 14 years. I now reside in a neighborhood called Shaw.
Ab
hegnauea

Postby chrisw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:27 am

Graciesdad wrote:Since we are discussing family names and lineage, we just discovered that our family is descended from Gouverneur Morris (My maternal grandfather's name) the financier of the Revolutionary War and author of the pre-amble to the Constitution.

Well hello cousin!

The same Morris family is my paternal grandmothers maiden name. But I think you might be combining the two morris brothers, both of whom signed the constitution.
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby chrisw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:30 am

hegnauea wrote:I think Danville Memorial Hospital was rated the WORST hospital in the United States a few years back.

Ab

My grandfather was one of the founders of this hospital! Then again it was sold to a for profit group a while ago..
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby hegnauea » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:29 am

Chrisw,

Cool! Yes I remember it being fine when I was a kid - I think after it was sold is when things started really going downhill. Everyone goes to DUKE for everything that isn't an emergency.
hegnauea

Postby Graciesdad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Chris, I am aware of Lewis the other brother as a signer of the DOI. However, Gouverner was the "money man" land owner, big time politician and the guy who was VERY tight with Geo. Washington. I checked with my cousin who did the research and I mis-spoke about Gouverner being the Morris referred to as the "Financier of the Revolutionary War" although he contributed greatly, it is Robert Morris (no relation apparently) who deservedly holds that title.

Nonetheless our family lineage traces back to two signers of the Declaration of Independence. Pretty cool for someone who comes from a "blue collar" family!!!
Graciesdad

Postby razzle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Iowa but from Arkansas
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby tinliz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I live in Central NY but originally from Western NY...... no ancestors with any claims to fame like a lot of you!
tinliz

Postby Graybo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:08 am

Last edited by Graybo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graybo

Postby wendi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:28 am

If we are talking famous relatives, I am related to the Dionne quintuplits. If you don't remember who they are, they were the first live quints born in Canada to poor French Canadians Farmers. Taken away from their parents and forced to live in an institution. The Canadian Gov't basically owned them and put them on show. It was very sad. They are from my Mother's side of the family.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby dtyree » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 am

Here's a link on the quints:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby wendi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks David. It is very sad what happened to them. Nowadays, instead of the government taking them away and profiting from them, the parents put them on TV and make money on them. These were not born from fertiltiy meds like those others on TV, but from nature. It is a very sad tale. There are only 2 left.
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby keggler 1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 pm

I was born in Oyster Point Va,at home. My grandmother took me to the hospital in New Port News,Va to get a birth certificate a few weeks

Later...Jerry in Carolina...

Edited by keggler
ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Postby dingspice » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi!

I'm originally from Dubuque, Iowa but currently live in the Nashville, TN area.

Jen
http://mylifemyneckmyvantagepoint.blogspot.com/
Syrinx 1.5mm width, 14mm long in C7 area
dingspice

Postby karenb » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:40 pm

OK, OK... I'll update my profile... but it's such a difficult question...

I live in Las Cruces, NM. My mom was from southern Colorado, my dad was from Arkansas, and they both have connections to New Mexico going back at least to 1949. So, naturally, I was born in Fresno, California!

We moved to Quito, Ecuador when I was 4 months old, and then moved to Flagstaff, Arizona after 2 years abroad. After 5 years in Flagstaff, we moved to Tucson. When I was 11, we moved to Arkansas, where I ultimately went to high school and college. After 2 years (called "graduate school" or "indentured servitude") in Oklahoma, I moved to New Jersey. After 19 years, I moved to Las Cruces to care for my aging parents.

Karen
karenb

PreviousNext

Return to ASAP Lounge