Daughter picking at incision site

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Daughter picking at incision site

Postby medicpt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 pm

For those of you who have had a decompression surgery. Does the bony area really itch during the weeks following surgery? My daughter is 3 and I am having a hard time keeping her from picking at her site. I have been trying anything to keep her hands off, band-aids, steristrips , mittens and close trimmed nails. She seems to pick the upper portion of her inicision, not the lower portion, despite having an exposed stitch there. I was wondering if it might be because the bone healing is bothering her more than the superficial incision. If so, how long does this nerve or bone itching last?

Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

wendi2
medicpt

Re: Daughter picking at incision site

Postby lcolangelo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:04 pm

My 3 year old son had a terrible time with itching-- he acutally endend up with a staff infection at the incision site from scratching. I think it' s related to not only the healing== but the hair growing back in-- those little "stubbles" are terrible! Once his infection cleared up and the hair grew a bit- his itching subsided-=- hope this helps== good luck!
Lisa
lcolangelo

Postby medicpt » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm

I am afraid of a staph infection. My spouse and I both work for a hospital and I am a little nervous that we could accidentally bring home a bug...despite diligent hand washing. How long did it take to clear the infection? It is 4 weeks since her surgery. The mittens the last few nights seem to help.

Thanks, wendi2
medicpt

Postby lcolangelo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Well it was actually pretty tough to get rid of. He actually ended up needing iv antibiotics to finally clear it up. It wasn't a fun time. I feel for you! Little ones just don't understand they can't touch! Hope it gets better for you!
Lisa
lcolangelo

Return to Pediatrics