Disability through work

Questions, answers and discussion relating to insurance and Social Security.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Disability through work

Postby princesk8 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Has anyone filed for disability through work so they can work less hours. I am going to the doctor to find out about this next week, but when I called to make the appt the receptionist said I needed the paperwork ahead of time. I asked her was she sure this is for disb through work. I do not want to give them a heads up or a reason to try to get rid of me so I told her that I would rather speak to him first. I saw my primary doctor today and asked her about it. She doesn't think I'll have a problem getting it as long as the NL agrees with her. Not for anything but sometimes these doctors don't really listen. Oh well, just wondering if anyone has experience with getting this.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Re: Disability through work

Postby tennesseewalker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

When I made my appt, I told them I needed him to fill out paperwork. They said OK, and at the appt, the doc came in and asked for the paperwork I had for him. He filled it out right there in the exam room.

He likes to be aware of what's coming so his staff types into the computer the reason for the visit. That way he is prepared.

Since I had seen him several times in the previous 3 months for the same problem, he was happy to verify my condition. He took the answers right out of my chart.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby princesk8 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Today NL wrote me note that said I need to have minimum amounts of stress due to a neurological condition or something to that effect. I go for new MRI's in early February and see NL again for followup of all this on Feb 9. If things are not better at work, next step will be to reduce hours. So many things we have to do just to get a little relief, but at least he's going through the motions and not just shutting me down.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby tennesseewalker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:28 pm

That's good. At least you have MRI evidence of a neurologic condition. Before you go part-time, check with HR to see if you're still eligible for disability insurance.

Most disability policies are only offered to full-time employees.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to Disability Insurance Issues