Love it
50%
Leave it
50%

Total votes : 22

zipperhead term

Postby razzle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:44 pm

do you like the term zipperhead , if so why and if not why
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Re: zipperhead term

Postby Amy Joe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:13 am

It's what our scar's look like so why not say it! Although I have been called a "zippa Head" for many many years before dx of Chiari. So I am partial to it!
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby jinglebells » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I think it is quite an appropriate name, I had twenty staples and it looked just like a zip,just missing the runner at the bottom.
Jinglebells
jinglebells

Re: zipper head term

Postby keggler 1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:13 pm

My scar looks like a fine line, not raised and looks nothing like a zipper. I have seen some scars where the NS used staples and yea it looks like a zipper.As I said mine is barely noticeable and now that I'm healed,I have to tell someone to look,and yes they are surprised. I was stitched inside and the outer skin was glued.I was up and taking a shower the next day and washed my hair.

I guess like our problems,everyone is a little different.

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Postby razzle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 am

I am the same as you Jerry tiny hairline scar can barely see it .Mine was stitched inside and outside . R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 pm

I personally hate the term - it makes me cringe & feel sick to my stomach.

When I first found out I had SM about 3-1/2 years ago, I tried to do a little on-line research. One of the first articles I came across was from a person who had posted extremely graphic photographs of their surgical scars on-line, and referred to themselves as a "zipperhead". They went on to provide horrifying descriptions about the pain, infections, etc, and said that this was the only option available for treating Syringomyelia.

The images alone gave me nightmares for days - it was months before I found out that I was not a surgical candidate and, regardless, the type of surgery the person had posted on-line isn't even an option for my type of SM.

Karen
karenb

Postby zipperhead2009 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:04 am

I personally am very comfortable with the term zipperhead, granted some others are not and I respect that. However, I on the other hand do not like the terms, Chiari warrior or chiari survivor, I find zipperhead to seem less dramatic, and far less dramatic. I do not want others around me to tell people, oh she's a warrior, or something like that, Zipperhead is just easier for me to deal with personally.
zipperhead2009

Postby karenb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:28 am

I definitely understand where you're coming from, and sort of agree with the point you make... maybe that's why I chose a plain vanilla handle :lol: . Please understand that, for me, I still have this gruesome image in my mind, and that is my problem.

Karen
karenb

Postby airsense00 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:31 pm

We should all get little zipper tattoos leading to the scar.
29 year old chiari 1 with syrinx c4-t8. Surgery Feb 2
airsense00

Postby redhed1978 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 pm

I had my first surgery in 2007 (was 29). My sister saw the back of my head and, trying to make me laugh, said it looked like they did a good job of zipping me up. She called me 'zipperhead' and 'zippy' until the staples came out. It helped me stay in a good humor. Humor is the only way to deal with this b.s.
Keep on Keepin' on...
Amy
redhed1978

Postby gunflint » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 am

I see that this thread is a couple of years old but I thought I should show the most common meaning of zipperhead.

This is from the Urban Dictionary.

A racial slur referring to people of East Asian descent, coined by US soldiers during the Korean War. There are multiple proposed origins, but the most commonly accepted is that it if enemy Asian soldiers were shot in the head with high-powered weapons, their heads would split as if they had been "unzipped". Another origin could be that when enemy soldiers were ran over by military Jeeps, there would be tire tracks on them that resembled zippers. It's violent origin makes it a particularly derogatory pejorative.
gunflint

Return to Polls