Wanting tips to prepare for hearing./ Venting

Questions, answers and discussion relating to insurance and Social Security.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Wanting tips to prepare for hearing./ Venting

Postby africk22 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:17 am

I have been denied disability an been trying to get it for a year. I finally am at the hearing stage so I decided its best to hire a lawyer. She now is supposedly handling everything and sent in my paperwork for the hearing and I guess Im just waiting on my lawyer to tell me when my hearing is. Im super nervous and was wanting any tips or advice to prepare for the hearing. I like to be organized. Before meeting with my lawyer I wrote pretty much what has happened since my car wreck all the docs, meds, treatments, symptoms and how it has affected my daily living. I didnt go in great detail but just feel so weird written a sob story. I hate seeming like a baby or a bum in my familys eyes an others. When my doctors told me that I need to file for disability I balled my eyes out. Ive just always maintained a job since age 12 an I just feel so worthless. I should be graduating bachelor in nursing school this semester but they wouldnt let me continue do to medical issues so now Im just doin online school in business. What job would hire someone though that would have to put up with lots of sick days I have daily headaches and nearly daily migraines and due to back issues sitting and standing long periods of time is nearly impossible. The past year I had to move back in with my mom an shes having to support me an my insurance is outrageous an im in dept up to my eyeballs in medical bills. This whole thing has severly depressed me! Im now seeing a life coach to help. I cant live with my mom forever I want my independence back an need so back to do great at the hearing. Im just so scared. All this has turned my life upside down! I just tell my self theres people who are far worse out there an I should be thankful. Its just hard. Sorry to spill its just onr of those real bad nights. This site has helped me so much! I thank God I found it! An I pray for all yall, cuz were all in this together, an its great to know ones not alone!
Rearended n Car wreck 08 back n neck w/Bulging/Herniated discs, Spinal Stenosis&Spondylosis, CM1 6-7mm, Adv.DDD,Demineralizin Vertebraes, Arthritis, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Insomnia, Chronic Migraines, n much more!
MUCH LUV N PRAYERS 2 ALL!
africk22

Re: Wanting tips to prepare for hearing./ Venting

Postby tennesseewalker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Good luck at your hearing. Don't leave out any little detail when you describe things you can't do.

africk22 wrote:I didnt go in great detail but just feel so weird written a sob story. I hate seeming like a baby or a bum in my familys eyes an others.

You DO have a sob story...you didn't choose to be this way, so DON'T make excuses and DON'T feel guilty.

Remember you are there because of your inability to function normally, NOT because you have been diagnosed with your conditions. That's a big one.

Get copies of your doctors' statements that you can't work. They may already be in the file, but they may not be. Many times people are denied because of incomplete paperwork.

Don't be nervous; my sister was denied twice and had a hearing. She needed a heart transplant. The judge said her case should have been approved the first time.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby jgirl_75 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:06 pm

I need tips too. This is the 24th month since I originally filed. My hearing is scheduled for March. YAY!!! I dont have insurance and no income. I have been selling my belongings to keep my house.

Your lawyer should advise you. That is what they will be paid for if you get paid.
jgirl_75

Postby africk22 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:09 am

Yea I havent been able to work for over a year, an had to move back home with my mom its been a crazy past couple years. I feel like such a burden Im really hopin I finally get disability im piled high in doc debt an medicine an my insurance is outrageous!!! I dont like the stigma of being on disability people tend to judge an Ive always worked since 12 its taken alot of therapy to handle this total life change. My bf jokes askin y i havent got a handicapped sticker but I just cant bring myself to do I just know theres far worse out there Im not in a wheelchair so I think God for that I donno am I being to weird about it? I just work so hard to put on a front for everyone an I just feel like im surrendering if I do it I know it sounds stupid an I shouldnt care what others think but I just feel like a bum failure I donno. This site has just been my way to vent Im sorry yall get it all lol.
Rearended n Car wreck 08 back n neck w/Bulging/Herniated discs, Spinal Stenosis&Spondylosis, CM1 6-7mm, Adv.DDD,Demineralizin Vertebraes, Arthritis, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Insomnia, Chronic Migraines, n much more!
africk22

Postby africk22 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:13 am

Tennesseewalker- I dont know if my docs have on file a official statement that I cant work. My primary doc told me to do it but Im in the process with a new neuro so its complicating. How should I go about that? Yea I always wonder what the docs say when disability contacts them.

Thanks everyone for your input.
africk22

Postby tennesseewalker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:33 pm

africk22,

Ask your lawyer to send you copies; SSD sends your doctors copies of the SSD paperwork you fill out and send in. Comparing notes, so to speak. Good luck.

Mary
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby africk22 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks so much! Will do! :D
africk22

Return to Disability Insurance Issues