Mood Swings and insomnia

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Mood Swings and insomnia

Postby Lipper5 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 am

Hi-
My son has been having really bad mood swings lately. From being so angry you can see flames shooting out of his ears to having a complete melt down with tears and all. Depression about why his life is so terrible. Also we struggle with sleeping. We can take him up to bed at 830p and he is still awake at 12a! He is 8 years old. Has been diagnosed with Chiari 1. He also was recently diagnosed with ADD. We go for a Neurological eval next week. I hope we can get some answers. My Mom read somewhere that mood swings and insomnia are part of Chiari's. I have not found this. Dont know if I should call the neurosurgery team to let them know of the new findings. He never has been seen by a Neurologist yet. So maybe wait for them? H E L P!

Mom of 2 sons with Chiari 1
1 with decompression and spinal cord shunt
Lipper5

Re: Mood Swings and insomnia

Postby memom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 am

Hi,

I am sorry that your son is having to deal with all this. My daughter suffers also. For the insomnia, her ped doc told me to give her melatonian (it is over the counter). She takes 1.5 mgs as needed. It has worked wonders for her. As for the mood swings, they are under control now that she is sleeping better. She still has times when she is mad and depressed about her life. She sees a psychologist to help cope. This has helped too. She was diagnosed with ADHD, although I am skeptical because she did not have it before chiari. We are not putting her on medication for ADHD. She has an IEP for school, this allows for a teacher to come to the house. Learning at home has helped alot. The school environment was too loud for her to handle. Also, she is sooooo sensitive to touch, she would panic anytime anyone got close to her. For her, once pain starts, it is hard to stop. We make sure she is involved in appropriate activities and that she gets the socialization she needs. One more tip, she cannot tolerate land based exercise so we have her in aqua therapy which has been wonderful for her.

There is a huge need for post chiari/decompression care providers, someone who understands what these kids are going through after the NS is done. Just FYI, we got more help from the Rhuematologist than we did from the three NL we have seen! I know how hard this is for everyone. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Praying for you and your family.

Lauri
Mother of a beautiful 9 year old girl with CM 1.5, SM T 5-8 and Hypermobility. Decompressed 7/09.
memom

Postby chrisw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

I had this growing up and still occasionally, especially when I can't sleep. Even as a 6 year old I remember laying up for hours every night.

I don't have any advice or suggesstions but my heart goes out to all of you.

Best wishes,

Chris
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby medicpt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:48 am

My daughter is probably younger, 3 years old, but she complained of being unable to sleep.... we also use Melatonin and it has made a significant difference! She also has meltdowns at seemingly nothing.... at first I thought it was a "girl" thing as my boys don't do this, but I too have come to believe that it is the Chiari talkin'. When she is resting poorly the meltdowns are more frequent. Sadly, our household functions in part around how she sleeps!

Hope this helps!

Wendi2
medicpt

Return to Pediatrics