Auto insurance claims

Questions, answers and discussion relating to insurance and Social Security.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Auto insurance claims

Postby sturoe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm 20 yrs old and was diagnosed with syringomyelia a couple weeks ago. Originally the doctor was telling me my back pain was just back spasms, then I started getting occasional loss of strength/numbness in my hands and tightness in my legs so they did an MRI. I was in a head on collision a year and a half ago for which I was not at fault. The back pain started a few months later.

I know this is not related to disability insurance, but this forum seemed to make the most sense to post in. I am terrified my insurance company will low ball me again as far as my settlement goes. If anyone else has trauma related SM from a car accident what kind of settlement did you end up with? Are there any claims lawyers familiar with SM that may be of some use?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as to going about the claims negotiating process...
sturoe

Re: Auto insurance claims

Postby mskyliejo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey, I know this probably a little late but I am new to this site and seen your post and was really interestd and had some answers for you. I am 22 years old and was in a head on collision too! Auto claims are THE worest to deal with. I did recieve my settlement already and next month will be a year. My settlement was a total of 20,000 but after the lawyers fee's were taken out I had 13,000 in my pocket. Not nearly enough for all the pain, agony and suffing I did. But hey! what are ya gonna do? My symptoms started pretty quickly after my accident... mine were major headaches and neck pain. My "fluid pocket" what I call it is located at my C6/C7. I wish you the best of luck!!! Your the first person I've seen so far since I was diagnosed my age with the same thing.

Kylie Jo
mskyliejo

Postby wendi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 am

As an insurance agent, I can tell you that you have up to 2 years from the date of the accident to sue, but proving that the accident brought on your symptoms is going to be hard. A good lawyer for the other side will argue that you were born with it and they would be right, I agree that the accinent brought on symptoms. Hey I fell down friends steps I insured that they did not have a proper railing on ( five feet to concrete) and my hubby talked me out of collecting on their old Home innsurance, it would not have hurt them. I sit here still working and in pain, but on meds, yippee. I guess what I am saying is take what you can get and be happy you get anything at all. Nothing is payment enough for your good health anyway, right?

Wendi in PA
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby powerlineman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Do NOT settle until you know for sure the SM was caused by the accident. Once you settle it's done. I was 13 and never even had the chance to settle if that was the cause (an accident as well). As for $ it all really depends. Can you work? How has it changed your life? Stuff like that.
SM only (C2-T1, T10-T12)-Cervical Post Operative Radiculopathy-Degenerative Disc Disease-Anxiety-Depression-Chronic Fatigue-Osteoarthritis-Bulging Discs (T5-T7)-Sarcoidosis-Spina Bifida
powerlineman

Return to Disability Insurance Issues