Exaggerated Reflexes

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Exaggerated Reflexes

Postby 3kidssane » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 am

About a month ago I noticed that my DD (decompressed twice this past summer) had begun turning her right foot inward when walking. Shortly after I had her go ride her bike, and realized that she did not have the strength to push the peddles around. I called the Nuerosurgeon, who said to call the Ped., who said to call the Nuerosurgeon, and then agreed to see her. Well while she was checking her put she noticed that she was infact weak on her right side, and she mentioned several times that she had strong reflexes. She scheduled her for an MRI, and a PT eval. In the meantime we went to Hailey's medication doctor (other issues) and she (not knowing about the visit to the ped.) did a basic Neuro check as per their proceedure. She noted that Hailey had exaggerated reflexes on the right side of her body, and not just her leg. She said that indicated Nuero damage of some sort. I tild her we were already scheduled for an MRI. She acted like it was vital that, that be done soon.

Now I'm freaking out! Has anyone else here experienced this? couls it be the Chiari?
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Re: Exaggerated Reflexes

Postby Janice » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Sounds like it could be either the Chiari or the Syrinx. Both can cause nerve damage. Dealing w/nerve related issues can be so very frustrating and slow. You're at a wait & see stage basically. Did her syrinx shrink after either of her decompressions? I have hyperreflexia (exaggerated reflexes) due to my thoracic syrinx. Syrinxes can cause a host of neurological conditons, and deficits. Chiari can do the same, but mostly in the upper body.

Is she getting a head, and full spine, MRI? Seems she needs to know what's going on in the entire spine.

Take care, keep us posted on the outcome. Sending prayers and positive vibes your way.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby lcolangelo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Both of my kids with chiari have increased reflexes-- it is usually a sign that there is a neurological issue -- with my kids they had decreased spinal flow-- it's good that you're getting an mri== I'll keep you in my prayers. Let us know what you find our.
lcolangelo

Postby lttutrow » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:28 am

My daughter has had an 'extra' reflex response. You know, like when they tap the reflex, there should be one muscle response to it. She has two. Is this what you mean? She does not have an SM.
lttutrow

Postby 3kidssane » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:56 am

Update:
We called our NS again and he pretty much blew us off about the weekness Hailey was having (I haven't mentioned other symptoms she is having) Anyways, our Ped. felt like there was a real issue going on because after having her PT Eval it was noted that Hailey had Hip weekness, and weekness in her upper extremeties. i also mention for the millionth time, that Hailey has a faint birthmark at the base of her spine. So the Ped. had a scan done of Hailey's head, and the Chiari looked the same, no fluid back up noted. She got Hailey an appointment with a Nuerologist, but couldn't get her in untill September. In the meantime, Hailey started complaining that her leg goes to sleep and hurts alot. So the Ped. called and spoke with the NS herself. I don't know what she said to him, but his nurse called me that day to set up an Full spine scan to check out the Syrinx. That scan is Today. she also set up an office visit for next week.

My biggest fear is that we are going to attempt putting her in public school this fall, and as it stand right noe she needs MANY accomadations, and this will just add to the list.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Return to Pediatrics