running? cure 4 Chiari?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

running? cure 4 Chiari?

Postby jensma » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I am very confused at this point! I need tons more education on Chiari it seems....it was brought to my attention on saturday that my 4yr old daughter runs...odd...i really do not have a clue as how to explain it! i am with her ALL the TIME and i have never noticed this before. It was brought to my attention by mom and we just so happen to have it on video....anyone else have a child that has a "different" run? I may need mention she is growth hormone deficient also. BUT what has confused me today is i emailed the NS to ask if Chiari could effect running or the way she runs .....they replied " A Chiari could in theory but she no longer has one".......i thought there was no cure!!!?? i am lost, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
Jessica-mom to Jenna GHD & Chiari
jensma

Re: running? cure 4 Chiari?

Postby lttutrow » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Yep, awkward run here too. My daughter played sports competitively though, so it didn't stop her from participating and doing things. It just looks different. Much like what you are saying, her chiari isn't technically there anymore, as in, her brain is no longer herniating. However, it doesn't change the fact that it was herniating and there was likely damage and things done from when it was herniating. Also, it's very likely that there is scar tissue and csf dynamics issues that remain.
lttutrow

Re: running? cure 4 Chiari?

Postby lpepitone » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 pm

My daughter is turning 6 and she actually didn't run for a long time. She does run now and yes, it looks "different" and she isn't as fast as others her age.
lpepitone

Return to Pediatrics