MRI for 6 yo, anesthesia vs IV sedation

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

MRI for 6 yo, anesthesia vs IV sedation

Postby lpepitone » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Question for others. My daughter has had countless MRI's and 3 decompressions. She is 6 this month. She is scheduled for a MRI and CINE and contrast, so I know it is a long process. The Neurosurgeon always orders it for IV and the hospital has twice insisted when we get there that we do anesthesia. So this time I stood my ground asking why can't we do IV and the hospital has refused. So of course now I am reconsidering (and have this question in to the neurosurgeon). She has had that tube down her throat so many times already!! And I'm sure more to come!! What are other 6 year olds doing with long sedations for MRI's???

Lisa in Baton Rouge
lpepitone

Re: MRI for 6 yo, anesthesia vs IV sedation

Postby lcolangelo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:23 am

My four year old has iv sedation for his MRIs-- but I know some hospitals won't do that-- We travel to Iowa to see dr menezes-- and they use iv sedation-- but the children's hospital here in buffalo will only do anastheia. Is there somewhere else you can get the mri?
lcolangelo

Postby cari » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 am

Ok-now I just learned something new. I didn't know anything about an IV sedation. All the MRI's for my 4 yr old have been general anesthesia. No one ever suggested I had any kind of option. So I guess it is not the preferred method? I will ask when we get our next MRI.
cari

Postby lpepitone » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:53 pm

The neurosurgeon sent a message that she can have IV, and that the hospital will do it. It is their "policy" not to use IV with children as they are not sure if the child can "handle" it. This was a message, so I didn't get to chime in. But gee, a child that has had 3 brain surgeries with anesthesia and other procedures with IV sedation, I think we would know by now if she couldn't "handle" IV sedation... This is always so frustrating, as we all have enough problems without having to deal with issues such as this! And I started calling over a month ago trying to get this done over spring break... sigh, that won't happen now!

When she was 2, they let her drink a liquid sedation. When she was 3, they fooled us the very first time, we never knew it was general anesthesia, and for some MRI's she was so sick we didn't even worry, and then these last 2 times, IV was ordered and they set up for anesthesia and we were there at 6AM, fasted, for MRI at 8, day off work, so it wasn't like I could really leave. I wish I just knew the reasons why... No one has ever really given us an explanation. SHe won't be able to sit still for a 2 to 3 hour MRI for a while yet. This problem isn't going away!!
lpepitone

Return to Pediatrics