A walk?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

A walk?

Postby aspen13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:55 pm

How do I start a fundraising walk? I would like it to be official and the money to go towards Chiari research. I don't know if that means to ASAP.org, or another organization. How would I get started?

Thanks!
CM DXed in 2004 - 9.3 MM herniation
Pineal Gland Cyst DXed in 2008 - 11 MM
Degenerative Disc Disease L5 and S1
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Re: A walk?

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Michael Scarpone and Patrice Schaublin handle the walk coordination for ASAP. If you are interested send either one an email. Michael_Scarpone@ASAP.org or Patrice_Schaublin@ASAP.org.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby lttutrow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:23 pm

This will be my second year to do one with ASAP. They make it really easy to do, feel free to message me if you have any questions that I can help answer as you get going :).
Lori
lttutrow

Postby aspen13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks so much, I contacted Micheal.

Lori, I am in San Diego County and found a great park that I have emailed to see if we could have the event there. They did a 5K walk there last September so I am hoping they can help. The park has five man-made lakes in a row (making the park long) with: camping, fishing, covered picnic areas, parking, a splash zone and kids playground. It's a really nice place! I am thinking we could meet in one of the large covered patios/picnic areas from 9AM to 10AM for registration and a contientnal breakfast and then walk from 10 AM to 11 AM, after which people can meet back at the starting point and hangout, or go fishing, rent a boat, etc.

What do you think? How do the sponsors work, did you call places? Did you provide a snack? How do you get t-shirts? How did you adverstise? How many attendee's did you have?

Thanks in advance!
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Postby aspen13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Also, I was thinking of making it a "Poker Walk" and having five stations where the walkers get cards and the person with the best poker hand at the end of the walk gets a prize :).
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Postby lttutrow » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Sounds like you've got great plans in the works!!! ASAP will help with the shirts, you just have to know how many/sizes. One year we were able to get drinks provided by a local restaurant who came with staff and served lemonade to the walkers. This year, we just bought a bunch of water and stocked it in coolers and then bought snacks and put them out on a table a little way down the trail for people to choose from as they walked. We had a group of people helping us with corporate sponsors. Some were people who knew people and some were just from us walking in and asking. ASAP will help with info too. I hope you have a fantastic walk :)!!!
lttutrow

Return to ASAP Lounge