Missy - aka "Little Miss Thing"

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Missy - aka "Little Miss Thing"

Postby karenb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm just reaching out...

Life is continuing to give me some ups and downs - as y'all probably know, both of my parents have passed within the last 6 months. It's been pretty tough, especially since I don't have any brothers or sisters, and the nearest family is over 500 miles away.

Yesterday, my pet cat Missy was acting strangely, so we went to the vet. She was in renal failure, and her condition was classified as "grave". Tonight, I received word that she was eating & absorbing fluids, and should be able to come home Monday, albeit with a special diet and special medical care.

For those of you who pray, I would be very grateful if you would keep both of us in your prayers. (Yes, I know it must seem silly to love a cat so much, but she's all the immediate family I have left, and she's really been a terriffic help to both me & my parents during hard times.)

Thanks, and much love to all.

Karen
karenb

Re: Missy - aka "Little Miss Thing"

Postby June » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Karen - Pets are family. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I am an only child, too, and I have had dogs and cats most of my life. My last two pets, cats named Oscar and Felix, are gone now, but when they died, we grieved just as we grieved for family members who died. They were our babies, they were each almost 20 years old when they died--tabbies can live a long time--and we loved them dearly.

Of course you are worried about your Missy. I hope she gets through this bad patch OK and is able to come home and be her old self again. You both will be in my thoughts. I'm so sorry you are dealing with yet another illness so soon after losing your parents.

Be strong, and take good care of yourself, too.

June
June

Postby karenb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi June,

Thanks for the encouragement. Missy is still in the hospital, but her condition has been upgraded from "Grave" to "Guarded". We're hoping that she can be discharged in a couple of days. I think her illness is hitting me harder because it's so soon after the loss of my parents.

Of course, now that she has renal disease, there will be more requirements in terms of care. She's apparently having trouble with elevated potassium levels, and will require periodic infusions of fluids so she doesn't get dehydrated. (Even us people have trouble with that here in the high desert...)

Thanks for caring!

Karen
karenb

Postby wendi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Karen:

I will say a little special pet prayer for your cat. I don't think it strange at all how much you love your cat, especially now after losing your parents so close together. I am a dog person, but our pets, for those of us good enought to get it, our part of the family. When I lost Dee Dee on Thanksgiving, it ripped out my heart. Now I can try and look back at all the love my little wiener gave me the 14 years I had her and smile and cry during those memories.

I do hope your little Missy continues to improve and is home purring in your arms soon.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby karenb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi All,

I just wanted to let y'all know that, after a couple of setbacks, Missy is home from the hospital. She's still on medication to increase the bloodflow to her kidneys and to help bind the potassium in her bloodstream so that she doesn't get weak and woozy.

She came home this afternoon, and is resting comfortably by her water bowl.

Thanks for your caring!

Karen
karenb

Postby June » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Good job, Missy!!! And same to you, Karen. I know you are glad to have her home again.

Warm and fuzzy wishes to both,
June
June

Postby wendi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 am

Glad to hear your little furry friend is home where she belongs. I hope she coninues to get well.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby collectorman76 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Karen

Don't let anyone tell you that your little Missy is not your child. We have 4 dogs my partner & I do, I have had Molly for 13 years and she is my daughter. Then there is Sam he is my rotten, spoiled, Son. My partner has his 2 and they are his children. I am so sorry about the passing your parents, I am not close to my Mom wish I was, we lost my dad in 1999. I have 1 sister but we are not close at all.

I will keep you & Missy close to my heart & in my prayers.

Take care
Don
Don Green, 35 yrs old, Oklahoma, 2002 Syringomyelia, 2005 first morphine pump, 2011 replaced pump with a bigger one. I have pain in my lower back, shoulder. Looking to make friends with others that suffer from this condition.
collectorman76

Postby karenb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Don,

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

Missy's had a tough couple days. She became dehydrated late yesterday, and all I was told by the emergency clinic was that they wouldn't see her and to "give her pedialyte".

She had a seizure this morning - I just held her and tried to comfort her as best as I could. I'll take her to her own vet tomorrow morning so that, at a minimum, they can give her fluids and teach me how to do that (pedialyte via an eye-dropper isn't very effective).

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and you encouragement!

Karen
karenb

Postby wendi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:33 am

My first weiner dog had siezures and they gave him phenobarbatol (sp) I do hope she is better soon and you get them under control.

How are the fires out your way? Are you in any danger?

Take care,
Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby karenb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi Wendi,

Turns out that Missy just isn't able to process enough fluid to keep her hydrated at this stage... so her "Mom" is going to be giving her 100 cc's of saline per day sub-cutaneously (read that "I've got to stick a big needle just under her skin and convince her to like it" - my first stunt was to stick myself!).

The worst fire we've had locally was the "Abrams Fire" earlier this year. It lasted almost a month and was caused by... get this... live fire training at Ft. Bliss in TX - named for the Abrams Tank (although nobody knows which type of tank actually did it).

Right now, all of the "local" fires are far enough away (circa 250-300 miles) that we don't have an immediate risk. With the strong winds (50 mph yesterday), we're getting plenty of smoke, haze, & colorful sunsets. The worst danger was posed by the Wallow Fire, which at its worst came close to burning down the high-transmission electrical lines that provide about 40% of the power we use. They were already telling us to prepare for rolling blackouts (in 100+ degree weather!) and where the local "cooling centers" were.

Karen
karenb

Postby June » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 pm

OMG, Karen. Come on up to Boulder. Last night we had snow at 10,000 feet, and today has been wet with a high of 65 degrees! (We'll make up for it in a few weeks, but nice for now.) Hope you are coming to the conference. Is there anyone to take care of Missy when you are away?
June

Postby karenb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 am

Hi June!

I haven't decided yet about the conference - I'm in the process of moving across town to a new home!!! It's larger and more wheelchair-friendly than my current home. It will also give me a way of making a "fresh start" in a part of town that I really love.

If I were to go, I would have Missy boarded at her vet's office - all of the vet techs know her and adore her, and will be more than happy to spoil her while I'm away!

My Mom was from Colorado, so I know how nice Boulder can be this time of year (ah... I can feel the coolness now).

Karen
karenb

Postby June » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:55 am

Karen - The move sounds like just the right thing for you. Take it easy and don't overdo--and most of all, enjoy the decorating and settling in process that can be fun.

I hope you can make the conference--would love to meet you--but understand if you don't.

June
June

Postby wendi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm so glad to hear you are ok as far as the fires are concerned. I hate the part about the needle and miss kitty, OMG! I would hate doing that.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Next

Return to ASAP Lounge