Missy - aka "Little Miss Thing"

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: Missy - aka "Little Miss Thing"

Postby razzle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 pm

thinking about ya Karen , have you thought about a new kitty too for company . Just an idea for now .(If you understand where I am going with this)June "SNOW" OH MY GOODNESS . Dont know if I want to vacation there or not . Wendi , how are ya . sent you some messages . anyway Karen , a new little companion for the both of you might be a good idea . Hugs Roz
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Wendi & Roz,

This afternoon went better than yesterday... at least I didn't stab myself (unlike yesterday), and Missy didn't bite anyone (namely me... & ditto). I managed to get 100 cc's into her today with a moderate amount of discomfort & "gritching" on both parts.

While at it, I realized how much I've learned in the last seven years. (FYI, Missy & her cousin, Muffin, came to live with me then, and my Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's just ten years ago. Since then, I have learned to give Muffin insulin shots, learned to give myself vitamin B-12 shots, learned an entire variety of "you do it or we wait 24 hours for the doctor" tasks which are better not mentioned here, and am learning how to give Missy IV fluids... yesterday's training session took three people.)

I guess it just goes to show what you can do when you have to... life is really pretty amazing, when you get right down to it!

Karen

P.S. I have frequently thought about some company for Missy, but it's so hard for a 4-pound cat to be "Alpha", and a little kitten (or even a younger cat) would probably be more than she could deal with at present.
karenb

Postby karenb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi All,

I have some updates on Missy...

First, she is gaining weight - she's up to 4.6 pounds from the low of 3.9 pounds a month ago. She's also started grooming again, and loves to cuddle. It's really cute - she likes to curl up in my favorite lap robe on the couch whenever I'm not looking.

She's tolerating the fluids and new cat food, and her kidney functions (BUN & Creatine) are back in normal ranges. She's still pretty pooped and wobbly right now, most likely because her red blood cell count is abnormally low. So... now, in addition to potassium and fluids, I'm also giving her shots every other day to help her produce more red blood cells.

I'll keep you posted.

Karen
karenb

Postby June » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Good news, Karen. Well over half a pound seems like a good amount for a sick kitty in a month. Our vet used to say that if cats are grooming and eating, they are feeling OK.

My little Oscar used to love to sleep in our bed, and he knew that he wasn't supposed to. So he would crawl up under the covers, thinking I guess, that he couldn't be seen. Of course, when the bed was made, there would be this tell-tale kitty-sized lump in the middle of the bed. Invisible kitty. I couldn't bear to move him on cold days. You may have to find another lap robe!

I never had to give my cats shots--do you pinch up a bit of skin at the neck, or is it more involved than that? Can't be fun!

Good luck to Missy, and to you, too. I've been following your voyage through the new doctor journey.

June
June

Postby karenb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 am

June,

My first kitty, Fluffy, used to love to crawl under the covers and hide. The really funny thing was my best friend's fiance - he's allergic to cats and, as a result, rather un-used to them. The first time he saw Fluffy under the covers he referred to her as a "bed goiter"!!! (ROFLOL) Little did he know!!!

Missy is currently sleeping on the sofa, curled up in "Papo Jim's: lap robe (in other words, "Grandpa Jim's" blanket - my father's first name was Jim, and she seems to be fascinated the the lap-robe he was given a few weeks before he passed away.

All of the shots have involved a bigger or smaller pinch of skin (or, in the case of Muffin, my 17-pound cat with Diabetes, it was "grab a chunk of Muffin wherever you can"). Grabbing a bigger or smaller pinch of skin doesn't work so well for me, though... I start getting woozy when I open the syringe!

Take care, and thank you so much for keeping us in your thoughts!

Karen
karenb

Final Message re Missy (aka "Little Miss Thing")

Postby karenb » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm writing to update my initial posting about "Missy".

Last Wednesday, Missy succumbed to Renal Failure. She died in my arms around 3:15 PM Mountain Daylight Time.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and notes.

Karen
karenb

Postby June » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Oh Karen, I'm so very sorry that you've lost Missy. She sounded like such a good little girl, and a good companion, but a very sick one. I know you are glad that she is not suffering anymore. Losing a pet involves a dreadfully painful transition. I can say I've been there, but that doesn't help you one bit. It has been a week, and you are just now able to write to us about it. I wish I could give you a big hug, but since I can't, I'll just say that I wish you well, and I hope that you will begin to feel better soon.

Courage,

June
June

Postby kiminfla » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:57 am

Big hugs sent your way. So sorry for your loss. Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby razzle » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 am

so sorry to hear that , but life goes on . Hugs
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Previous

Return to ASAP Lounge