Vanity Question

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Vanity Question

Postby gunflint » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:49 pm

I was just wondering if getting a PFD requires that you shave your head. I have been letting my hair grow ever since I learned of the surgery in hopes that they'll just shave a few inches above the neck and the rest of my hair will be long enough to cover up the scar. Is this just wishful thinking? Thanks.

P.S. Yes I do have a full head of hair even for an old guy.
gunflint

Re: Vanity Question

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 pm

I know twenty years ago they would shave the head but I don't think anyone does that any more.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby razzle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 am

they didnt shave my hair . I have short hair. R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby hikealaska » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:23 am

They shaved as little as they could. My hair was long enough at the top of my head to cover the shaved parts
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby Piscopa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am

My doctor shaved as much as he need a little more just in case. You see part of the incision on my neck but you won't know I have incisions in my head. For me, by the time the incision was fully healed, my hair had grown good enough.
"With Hard Work and Strong Determination, Nothing can Dismantle the Flag of Success"
Piscopa

Postby kiminfla » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:02 pm

My dr shaved from ear to ear down in the back but I have long hair so it was put up in a ponytail. It grew back very fast. Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby pseudotumor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:55 am

My doc shaved about an inch wide and from my neck to almost the top of my head. Pics throughout my blog here: http://juliessurgeryblog.blogspot.com/
pseudotumor

Postby gunflint » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:27 am

Julie,

Thanks for the link. I had a good time reading it. I find it interesting how we all share a lot of the same thoughts and feelings when we're looking down the barrel of surgery. I must admit that the thought of "when can I die my hair" hadn't occurred to me although the "magnet sticking to my head" had. I was thinking of adding a small antenna to the plate in my head as our cell phone reception is kind of iffy. I'll mention it to Dr. Heiss when I see him next week.
gunflint

Postby karenb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Good one!!!

FYI, there's a great product out there that isn't actually a hair dye - you rub it in when your hair is dry, and it really does darken it. I gave it to a friend of mine a few weeks ago, but forgot... imagine how I felt when I teased him about dying his hair - and he said he had actually stopped dying it!!!

Good luck with the hair! (Remember... no matter how bad the haircut, it always grows back!)

Karen
karenb

Postby the 4ks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:25 am

They try to shave as less as possible especially for the gals. They made a wide strip down right down the middle of the back of my hubby's head...he didn't care though and at the time the kids thought it was cool. You can barely see his scar now, but his surgery was years ago. But it didn't take long for the hair to cover it up.
the 4ks

Postby pseudotumor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 pm

I think it depends on what surgery they do exactly, but for me since they had to shave some vertebrae, the scar extends down my neck a little ways and looks kind of bumpy and gross...
pseudotumor

Return to ASAP Lounge