School Desk???

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

School Desk???

Postby JenandLuli » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:37 pm

HI! I'm hoping someone can help me.
My daughter is a 1st grader with SM (no CM). She had surgery that drained her syrinx when she was 4. Her symptoms are manageable with meds.
She complains of her neck hurting at the desk at school. Does anyone else have any experience with similar issues? Is there a special desk that you have used so that they are not looking down at their papers and schoolwork?

I am planning on discussing this with the school but want to know more info before I have that discussion.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jen
Jen
Mommy to Luli - 6 years old
SM - Torticollis - Plagiocephaly
Surgery on lower syrinx Nov. 09
JenandLuli

Re: School Desk???

Postby razzle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:31 pm

moved to peds sec
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Kate456 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi Jen,

I have CM and a syrinx and had surgery last year. I am left with a neck that I have to baby a bit because certain positions make it sore due to the damage to the nerves in the cervical spine. I also find reading and writing very difficult because it hurts my neck to look down at a table or my lap.

If you goggle slanted desk or slant top desk, you will see some options for slanted portable desk tops that should be a big improvement over a school desk. Even raising the height of the desk 4or 5 inches closer to my face helps. A touch screen computer, like an IPad, is much easier to use because it can be propped up in a case on a slant and you can touch the letters on the screen with your finger or a stylus and never have to look down. Just the slant alone really helps keep me from having to bend my neck very much.

Kids shouldn't have to suffer with this stuff. I hope you are able to find an easy solution.

Kate
Kate456

Postby JenandLuli » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Kate!
I did google the slanted desks - and they look promising.
I thought for sure this would be a common issue - especially among peds in school. I'm surprised it's not a standard topic and hasn't been discussed before!
Jen
Mommy to Luli - 6 years old
SM - Torticollis - Plagiocephaly
Surgery on lower syrinx Nov. 09
JenandLuli

Postby sarah76 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 am

Hello, My son is 8 and has Chiari. Because I also have Chiari and SM, I know how it feels to have to look down to write and read. I ask the school about a music stand or a recipe book stand and that is what he uses at school. Just an idea. God Bless
sarah76

Postby 3kidssane » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:16 am

When DD was in Kindy she had this problem. The school was not about to get her a slanted desk, but they did get her a slant board. This helped alot, and it was cheaper, and could be taken to whatever classroom she was in. We also used seat cushions.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Postby Judi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I teach and, over the years, have seen quite a few kids get headaches from the glare of fluorescent lights on their papers. To always be looking down toward the paper with a predisposed condition is a recipe for a child to dislike whatever he/she happens to be doing. Might I suggest one of the tablets that are now so reasonably priced? Many in our school district use them with great success, and they are able to be placed more comfortably for each student. I hope this helps for you.
Judi
Judi

Return to Pediatrics