Looking up

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Looking up

Postby 3kidssane » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 am

My DD has been complaining that when she looks up it hurts and gives her a headache. She had surgery last year. Is this common? Should I be worried?
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Re: Looking up

Postby pmaxwell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am

It is always good to let your doctor know about any symptoms. They may not be related but better to play it safe.

I have heard that often people with Chiari have a smaller posterior fossa than average. When a person looks up they are decreasing the area where spinal fluid pools to be absorbed into the body. Decreasing the area would result in pressure. People with Chiari are often cautioned not to hyperextend the neck for this reason.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: Looking up

Postby lttutrow » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 am

Both of my kids have issues with looking up or down. It will almost always cause my daughter to vomit after a short time of doing it. Though we've never heard an explanation for 'why', we know from enough episodes now that we just avoid them doing it. We sit near the back of theaters and church services that use projection screens.
lttutrow

Return to Pediatrics