Suboccipital Fibrous Nodule?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Suboccipital Fibrous Nodule?

Postby cluelessinAZ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm

I had surgery Feb 24, 2011. I am now trying to remember whether or not, I felt the lump in my neck before or after surgery. Well in any event, I have this nodule deep within the muscle of the left side of my neck near c1-c2. It has been there for several months now. For many years, I have had severe pain shooting up the left side of my neck, and always attributed it to the chiari, but it never went away after surgery.

The nodule started becoming quite painful. It is hard and doesn't move. When I press on it, it makes my whole neck hurt. I'm assuming possible nerve involvement. My physical therapist found it back in September, and stated that it feels like a encapsulated fibrous nodule. I then went to my PCP, who said she couldn't feel it, and down played it as nothing, and felt further down my neck, and told me that is just scar tissue. Which I replied I know that. I did convince her to order an MRI anyway.

Had problems getting the auth, and doing MRI only after Kidney function tests. Finally got MRI last week, and still waiting for the results. The pain is getting worse, and spreading upward. I have tried researching online, but also trying not to freak myself out. I realize it can be something as simple as a swollen lymph node. But that typically happens with infections, which I have not had any. I'm curious if anybody else has something like this.
Dx'd CM/SM 01/07, DDD, minor scoliosis, Klippel-Feil, hypoplastic vertebrobasilar system,Occipital Neuralgia, mild cervical stenosis, several buldging/protruding disc through c-spine & l-spine, mild osteoarthritis, Hashimoto's Disease, FMS
cluelessinAZ

Re: Suboccipital Fibrous Nodule?

Postby ScaredErica » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Yes a matter of fact my nodle was just found by accident this past November on accident. Then after having numerous tests done they discovered I had several of them all over my neck near my thyroid glad. They ended up doing a fine needle biopsy. Im not gonna lie to you, it hurt. Im pretty good with pain too, I've had quite a bit of needles stuck in me, some people say it doesnt hurt but I didnt enjoy it. I also thinks it depends on the amount of skin or fat you have around your neck. The good news I can tell you is these nobles or "cysts" I was told are extremly common in women and most really are nothing to worry about. Luckly my came out to be benign, but that does not me you still should not have ot look at. Stay postive and good luck. My thoughts are with you.
Erica
ScaredErica

Re: Suboccipital Fibrous Nodule?

Postby cluelessinAZ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Well to update on this, I did finally get an MRI. Turns out my PCP ordered a soft tissue head and neck MRI. There was no mention of this nodule in the results. My PCP did finally get me in for a regular c-spine MRI. I did that at the beginning of this month, and I am still waiting on the results. I think I will be calling them soon, if they don't call me. As for the nodule itself, it's still there, and the pain is about the same. I know I'm not crazy, I'm not the only one that felt it. Just getting really mad that this new PCP isn't doing more to figure out what it is. I think that if there is no mention again in the second MRI report, than I am going to request an ultrasound. Maybe that will be able to tell what it is. And I may be looking for a new PCP. I sure miss my old one, he was always on top of my conditions.

Erica~ I do have Hashimoto's Disease. So I am aware of the Thyroid issues. I have been allowing my PCP to manage this condition, but I am thinking I need to get back in with an Endocrinologist. That is another health issue that needs to be dealt with. I have wondered if this nodule could be related to that, but it seems a little odd since the gland and nodule are opposite from one another, and according to the soft tissue MRI, all the lymph nodes appeared to be within normal limits. I know things can migrate in the lymph system to other nodes in relation to the Thyroid. I have a friend that had Thyroid cancer and it migrated to the lymph nodes in the neck. So that is in the back of my mind.

Anyway, I have another issue I am a little concerned about. Don't know if I really should be though. I did get a copy of my MRI on disc this the last time. So I looked at the images, and it clearly looks like a bone fragment has broken away from my skull at the decompression sight, and it is sitting very close to the cerebellum. I have been trying to research this online, to find out if this could be serious, but I'm not finding anything to be very helpful. Anybody have any suggestions for online research for this?

Christy
Dx'd CM/SM 01/07, DDD, minor scoliosis, Klippel-Feil, hypoplastic vertebrobasilar system,Occipital Neuralgia, mild cervical stenosis, several buldging/protruding disc through c-spine & l-spine, mild osteoarthritis, Hashimoto's Disease, FMS
cluelessinAZ

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders