Anyone At NIH Next Week?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Anyone At NIH Next Week?

Postby gunflint » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:19 pm

I'll be heading to NIH next week for my 3 month check up. Is anyone from here going to be there?
gunflint

Re: Anyone At NIH Next Week?

Postby AISM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 am

Hello I live close and I was thinking of going into there sm research but haven't decided yet?
Do you have any suggestion? Any reply would be great thank you, AISM
AISM

Postby gunflint » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 am

First things first.You need to apply and send them your MRIs. They have certain criteria for study participants. I think that it has to do with CSF flow in conjunction with a syrinx and how decompression surgery relates to flow dynamics. If you are accepted it becomes a personal decision on whether or not to participate. I chose too for the fact that I was becoming symptomatic fairly quickly and I was probably going to need surgery sooner or later. This was an opportunity to get surgery from one of the top CM/SM surgeons in the county at no charge. I was layed off my job due to my disability and was concerned that I would have insurance issues if I declined study participation and waited a few years until symptoms became even worse. Everyone can think what they like but the likelihood of socialized medicine covering decompression surgery in someone in their late fifties is almost nil.

There are a few things that I would do differently. Mostly related to post-op care, traveling home, and including my GP in the loop a little tighter. If you get accepted in the study, let me know and I can get a little more specific and maybe give you some pointers. Good Luck.
gunflint

Postby AKShel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Gunflint,

Appreciate the info. I applied to NIH, qualified, and they are now reviewing my MRIs and other records sent. How long did the process take for you? If accepted in, I'll have plenty more to ask.

Thanks,

Shel
AKShel

Return to ASAP Lounge