How to stop dropping things

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

How to stop dropping things

Postby pfb1977 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 am

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I dropped a compact in a department store one day and broke it. I am also constantly spilling drinks due to this as well. I am a sales rep for a wireless phone carrier and I have been dropping phones too.
pfb1977

Re: How to stop dropping things

Postby gunflint » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Dropping things with my left hand was the first symptom I had that led to my diagnosis. I constantly drop my phone. About the only thing that works for me is concentrating on what I'm holding or switching to my right hand. But that only works for as long as you can do it. I get very angry at myself when I drop things or knock things over. I had to switch from fishing left handed to right handed because I was afraid that I'd drop several hundred dollars worth of rod and reel in the lake. I think that our loss of coordination in the hands is just something that we have to live with as SM'ers.
gunflint

Re: How to stop dropping things

Postby Gill » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am

Gunflint's right - it's about concentration, and that doesn't always work....

I've at least sorted the dropping my phone problem, though. I put my thumb and 3rd, 4th and 5th finger round it, and hook my index finger over the top - not while I'm on the phone, but every time I pick it up or put it down. I've trained myself to do it so it's become automatic. This has probably saved a lot of replacement phones!
Gill

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders