How many people had a plate put in?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

How many people had a plate put in?

Postby zenkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:29 pm

I may be going back into surgery to get a plate put in the back of my head. My soft spot headaches are very bothersome as is the muscle pulling on my dura everytime I turn my head....

Anyway, I was wondering how many out there did have a plate put in or if anyone went back to have a second surgery to have one put in. Thanks. ZK
zenkeeper

Re: How many people had a plate put in?

Postby razzle » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I have not . sorry nobody is answering . maybe nobody has ..... R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby zenkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks anyway!!! I know Dr. Oro. and Dr. Bajjani both use plates for their PFD surgeries.... Was hoping some of their patients might chime in, but maybe they are not on the boards anymore cuz are doing well! Thanks... ZK
zenkeeper

Postby lovemyskyes » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello!

I have a titanium plate -- mine was installed by Dr. Capocelli in August of 2006 -- during my second decompression surgery.

So far, it's working out fabulously -- certainly nothing to fear or get nervous about, in my opinion. :)

Mellie
-- CM (1st Surgery/July 1999 - 1 cm) (2nd Surgery/August 2006 - 2.5 cm)
-- SM (July 2003 - C4 shunt surgery)
-- Syrinx from above C1 to T9
-- Arachnoiditis, RSD, DDD, EDS, blah blah who cares...
-- Spinal infusion pump due to spasticity
lovemyskyes

Postby pamela d » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:29 am

I did not have a plate put in at time of my surgery, but would also be interested in hearing from any who did. My soft spot often feels swollen and painful, and there is quite a bit of pressure/tugging in the same area.

I know this post does not help, but I hope you hear from someone who can.
pamela d

Postby tlserenity » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:25 am

I did - I will in-box you.
Terry Lynne
*I am not my pain. I am not my past. I am that which has emerged.*
tlserenity

Postby zenkeeper » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Thank you all.....

PamelaD; I have the same symptoms you have. Soft spot really tender and sore with pulling and tugging sensation DEEP in my head where the bone was removed - not like your typical tight muscles - more like something is tugging on my patch or dura.

I consulted with 2 top CM doctors and both said dura headaches from the muscles that were once attached to my bone/skull, now attaching to the dura. Everytime I move my head it pulls and tugs...These headaches are very disabling.

Anyway, just trying to get as much info as possible as to avoid making things worse then they already are! ZK
zenkeeper

Postby hikealaska » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I had a titanium plate put in on 11/28/11. I did so because the duraplasty that was put in during my decompression was swelling as it filled with CSF each day. The titanium prevented the patch from filling. Prior to this surgery I was at a level 10 in pain each evening by about 5. THere was no relief ever. I have received about 85% relief from my pain. I do not regret this surgery. I have since had my spinal cord stimulator removed because I no longer needed it for pain relief.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby zenkeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks Hike! That is very encouraging. My headaches get worse as the day goes on as well - mostly from normal ADL's/any head movement. I wake up feeling sort of "normal" but then as the day goes on and I just do regular things the pain comes on.

Like this morning, just normal bending down and so forth brings on a deep aching/pulling sensation in my head that will ultimately lead to a throbbing headache. From the neck down I feel great but feel so limited from the neck up - never felt like this before.

I have a couple more questions for my NS before I decide but I am 75%/25% on having it done. Thanks again!
zenkeeper

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders