Numb Feet- Help!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Numb Feet- Help!

Postby drummergrl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 pm

I have a sort of random question, so bear with me! I've been in Physical Therapy for a few months because I had a hip scope not too long ago and lost a lot of strength/flexibility. My PT quickly noticed that my sacroiliac joint was all screwed up as well, so i've been in an SI belt for about a month. Things had been going well until last night, when I suddenly got severe back pain and lost sensation in my feet.

My physical therapist said the back pain was SI-related and got me back into alignment, but the feet numbness isn't getting any better. It's especially bad when I sit for more than 10 minutes or lay on my back. When I stand up to alleviate the pain, my right leg feels like it's going to give out on me. This morning, actually, when I stood up I collapsed to the floor because I wasn't expecting my right leg to just give out.

I haven't seen my neurologist in 2 years...my PT is pretty concerned about the numbness but he still thinks it might be SI-related. Last time I saw my neurologist I still had a residual syrinx from my decompression. Is this something to be worrying about? Has anyone else with a syrinx had numbness in their feet? I'm trying not to go there but it's so hard to have SM and not immediately jump to "my syrinx is getting worse." What do I do???
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Re: Numb Feet- Help!

Postby pmaxwell » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm

why not play it safe. If you haven't had an MRI in two years, maybe it is time to get one. Until you find out the cause you are going to worry it is the SM anyway so get it checked out to see if there have been any changes. You could learn everything is still the same and that will at least remove the stress of wondering if it is the syrinx.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: Numb Feet- Help!

Postby karenb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 pm

I'd suggest a two-fold approach:

1. Since your PT is concerned, schedule an appointment with your NL and get a new MRI so you at least know what is going on with your spine.

2. In the meantime, since you've been having a lot of SI issues recently, the nerves & surrounding tissues may be irritated and inflamed. I was having a lot of SI-related pain over the holidays, and it was pretty amazing how many things it affected.

Best wishes!

Karen
karenb

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders