Night sweats

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Night sweats

Postby syrinx48 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:29 am

Hi all,

I have a problem, which bothers me quite some time. Let me start first to tell my age, 53 going on 54. So menopausibel....

I am getting fentanyl 25 mg patches every other day for my pain. I also have oxynorm 10mg for breaktrough pain, which I am taken now 2 times a day. I am on more medication as paracetamol, Depakine, Rivotril.

Every night I wake up soaked wet, also in the daytime I am sweating quite easily. Sometimes it comes in a flare, other times not, just sweating. I have SM in my entire spine (has been growing the last 2 years). The cause that it has grown is unknown, I myself think it is because of my thoracic herniation at T7/T8. My NS don't want to make any more MRI's, for I had so many....

My question: is someone familiair with these night sweats, I know sometimes SM gives them. Is it my menopause, or is it due to the fact I am taking opiates. I can't figure it out.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Re: Night sweats

Postby Catrine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello,

I had something very similiar. Night sweats but given that I had not yet hit 40, the GP thought it unlikely that it was early menopause. Inability to control body temperature is unfortunatly one of the side effects of the syrinx. I manage mine with gabapentin and paracetamol. The way my NS explained it is that, my syrinx was affecting the sensory nerves in my spinal cord, thus the signals were confused and my hot/cold temp management was affected. If they think it it the menopause, then they can do hormone tests but if you have a diagnosed syrinx, then it is also a potential reason. More MRIs won't really help. It is going to be a mix of drugs and, if they can do anything about the syrinx, then surgical (but that will be a much more serious discussion between you and your NS).

Hope that helps
C
Catrine

Postby razzle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 am

could be all the above ..I'VE Been sweating for a long time ... I am on estrogen which helps alot , I also has SM... Check your med side effects too. good luck
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby reedy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm

I had them for quite some time, the they stopped. I am now not sweaty at night.
Someone on these boards thought that night sweats were a sign that your syrinx was changing. I can say that my symptoms have continued to change although the sweats stopped, so there certainly is not a one-to-one correlation.

I can imagine it is a bit difficult to know in your case, since you have 3 very likely candidates for causing sweats. It could be all of them at different times! It is uncomfortable and annoying, isn't it! My sympathies.
reedy

Postby wendi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:16 am

I have this problem too. I tend to think it is everything, Menopause, the sm and the meds. Mine for some reason is now not bothering me, but I know it will return, which makes me think that mine is menopause since it has gone away for a while.

Peace friends,

Busy busy, so sorry to be a ghost.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby karenb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Ditto for me,

I don't have any clue what causes them, but I do know that sometimes my treatments (heat+TENS) and/or pain make them worse.

Karen

P.S. I won't even say the other word... I'm still 29... nobody believed me when I really was, so I decided to stay there until somebody did! :lol:
karenb

Postby syrinx48 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 am

Thank you for your replies! I think I will have my bloodwork tested (FSH level), just to be sure on that part.

I know the reason could be all of them. The reason I asked is that I am not sure that my syrinx is growing, I think it does. My NS don't want to make anymore MRI's due to the fact I already had so many, and I totally agree that most of the time it is unneccesary when your SM stays stable. The only time he wants to make a MRI is when I physically show symptoms, i.e for I can't walk anymore....

In June 15th I have to go back to him, and we would have a good talk about it.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders