3rd surgery?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

3rd surgery?

Postby Karen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 am

Hi
I'm new to the board. My first surgery was in 1990. The syrinx returned so I had another surgery in 2000. Now I'm looking at a 3rd. surgery. My mobility has deteriorated so badly. I can barley walk with a cane. This is a risky surgery and there is no guarantee I will come through it successfully, as I have in the past. Not sure if I want to take the risk or let things progress as they are. Pretty scary.
Karen
Karen

Re: 3rd surgery?

Postby pmaxwell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Karen,

Have you gotten a second opinion? I know people who have had several surgery before they found relief and other who have had so many surgeries it seems unreal and they still have serous problems. I think it is important to go into surgery with a positive attitude. If you don't feel good about it, maybe you can wait and try other therapies. I remember one lady who lost the ability to walk and started getting massage therapy on her legs and was able to walk again within a year. The muscle spasms had knotted the muscles into constant spasm. I know that probably is not the answer for you but their could be others. I hope you find the answers you need and the treatment to help you.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby Karen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Patrica. That is exactly what I'm doing now, getting scheduled for a second opinion. My PCP has suggested rehab to help keep me mobile. One step at a time, I guess.
Karen
Karen

Postby tennesseewalker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Karen, I would ask the NS "If it was your child instead of me, what would you recommend for your child?"

As you say, the risks are real, and there's no telling if your outcome will be good or bad. With every surgery, your body lays down more scar tissue, which makes subsequent surgeries more difficult and risky.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders