Almost 2 years post op - Still in pain!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Almost 2 years post op - Still in pain!

Postby NuChiarian » Fri May 04, 2012 3:32 pm

I've sorta always had pain in my shoulders since I was decompressed in May 2010, and I'm not sure if it's the weather (It's getting warmer and more humid) but I feel like my shoulder pain is getting worse.

Has this happened to anyone? And what was the reason for it? Should I see my neurosurgeon?
Spinal Decompression and cervical fusion with duralplasty of own tissue/May 2010 for ACM and SM

dx w/ Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele and Hydrocephalus at birth.
NuChiarian

Re: Almost 2 years post op - Still in pain!

Postby razzle » Sat May 05, 2012 4:16 am

If it has been 2 yrs since oyu have seen your dr . Yes go see him or her....
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Sat May 05, 2012 7:45 am

I was decompressed last October. I have had no reduction in pain or symptoms except I don't get headaches everyday like I used too.
gunflint

Postby NuChiarian » Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 am

gunflint, is anything wrong even though you're in pain? I'm scared because I haven't had an MRI since the summer I got decompressed. I'm afraid I haven't been diligent enough in my post-op. My neurosurgeon said "come back if you have a problem". I'm not sure if this is a problem or just par for the course. All my other symptoms have subsided. I just get very frequent pain in my neck and shoulders. It hasn't been getting worse than before. It's just happening more often.
Spinal Decompression and cervical fusion with duralplasty of own tissue/May 2010 for ACM and SM

dx w/ Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele and Hydrocephalus at birth.
NuChiarian

Postby razzle » Sat May 05, 2012 2:49 pm

if its getting worse I would be going back to see your NS and also dont assume everything is chiari related
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby NuChiarian » Sat May 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I also forgot to mention I've notice that my heart rate has quickened in the past couple weeks. I've woken up in the middle of the night with a racing pounding heartbeat and sometimes my resting heart rate can get up to 120 beats per minute. Is that a function of the brainstem?

I'm not an active person, (I have Spina Bifida, so it's difficult) so I could just be out of shape and that's the way it's always been, but it's really starting to bother me.

Has anyone with Chairi experienced a fast heart rate AFTER surgery? And what was done?
NuChiarian

Postby gunflint » Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 am

You should listen to razzle. I have never read anything about CM/SM and accelerated heart rates. You need to be seen by someone asap.
gunflint

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders