Double Vision

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Double Vision

Postby gunflint » Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 am

Over the last month or so I've noticed that I have double vision when I attempt to focus on small objects at distances over 50 yards. I was just wondering if this is possibly a new symptom. Or if this could be totally unrelated. I am 55 years old and I did get my first prescription glasses last year, however my vision seems to be depreciating at such a rapid pace that they are useless now. I will be contacting my GP when they open up later. Should I also contact my NS? Thanks
gunflint

Re: Double Vision

Postby razzle » Thu May 24, 2012 10:30 am

what meds are you on again?
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Thu May 24, 2012 10:49 am

Up to 60 of Hydrocone (vicodin) 1800 mgs of Gabapentin and 50 mgs of Nortriptyline. I think I know where you're going with this as I thought of that also. I haven't had an Vicodin in about a week.(Every few months I quit taking it for a while to reduce my tolerance.) And I dive into a pile fo Naproxen. I've only recently started the Nortryptoline and I noticed the vision problems a couple of months ago. I only recently realized that double vision wasn't common with aging eyes. I know, I know. :roll:
gunflint

Postby razzle » Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 am

I use to take Noritriptilne and it made me dizzy and fuzzy . I looked up the side effects and there is blurred vision listed.. could be that med ..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealt ... ideEffects

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby razzle » Thu May 24, 2012 11:34 am

Naproxen to can mess with your eyes , so the 2 of them together might not be good...

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Fri May 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Here we go again. I have an appointment set for an eye doctor next week. My GP's Nurse Practitioner wanted me to see a neurologist. I kindly declined as I have very little faith in my local neurology pool. I emailed NIH and will see what they say. I thought maybe I could have a summer without waiting rooms. Oh well.
gunflint

Postby taichi » Tue May 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I have been having double vision for some time, 'dizzy (Meniere's disease). I'm frustrated trying to think what it might be,meds,Tramadol 350 to 400, Kapidex 60mg and topamax 75 mg. I have an appointment with a ophthalmalogist in the morning.

Barbara
taichi

Postby gunflint » Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm seeing an Ophthalmologist on Friday. I emailed my NS at NIH. He said that he didn't think that double vision could be caused by Sm however he said it could be from the CM or as a result of my surgery. He wants to know what the Ophthalmologist comes up with. taichi, let me know what your Ophthalmologist comes up with. I'll see what mine says and we can compare notes. I'm fairly certain that it's not meds. Are you having trouble with tinnitus also? Just curious.
gunflint

Postby gunflint » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Astigmatism! Who would have guessed. I am relieved that it's not neurological. It seems kind of funny that I would have developed an astigmatism within the last year. And that it coincides exactly with my CM/Sm diagnosis. But I'll take it. Now off to find some glasses.
gunflint

Postby razzle » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:46 am

I have that too but never any double vision ... and hope I dont get double vision either.. I was prscribed tri focals ... I have had astigmatism now about 10 yrs..Roz

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby emmacos » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi,

Double vision was one of my daughter's earliest symptoms before she was diagnosed with cm/sm, (along with dizziness and balance problems), and she still has it now, 8 yrs after her initial decompression surgery. I think its a pretty common symptom of chiari.

Emma.x
emmacos

Postby taichi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 pm

My Ophthalmologist was concern with my cataracts more than my vision, I'm sure he will get to that after the sugeries, I have had my right eye done and I can already see so much better. If I am lucky to have the same results other than close up I will not have to wear glasses. I am hoping this takes care of the double vision, but that could be another issue entirely. I never thought when you had this surgery you would see so clearly. Now don't think this will help all you young people it's only for us getting on into another age group. After the middle of July I will post about the result of the other eye surgery and his opinion of the double vision.

Barbara
taichi

Postby TabulaRasa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 pm

What about problems with blurriness and contacts? Does anyone have that problem? My eyes aren't blurred when I have my glasses on, but they blur instantly when I put my contacts in which leads to headaches.
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders