Checking in

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Checking in

Postby marymac » Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Ho my friends:

Been way too long since I've posted, but became a problem with DH. I will catch up tomorrow but have a question I an panicked with today. Finished the 2 year program of forteo for bones. Now they want me to take a shot that lasts six month but the side effects are too much to comprehend and wondered if anybody else has tried Prolea. Would surely appreciate any input before doctor tomorrow (just found out the name of the shot today).

I miss so many of you, my kind friends. I do check in when possible.
Gentle hugs and big smiles
Marymac
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Re: Checking in

Postby razzle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 am

I have osteoporosis too and have heard of that med . Keep us posted on how it does .. It is infusions right ?? welcome back
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby marymac » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 am

Yes it is infusions; but the side effects are so scary: infection in the lining of the heart? I don't know. The Forteo worked great.
Thx Roz
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

marymac

Postby marymac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:46 am

Correction: Dr. gives shot in office. Too scared to do it.
Marymac

marymac

Postby June » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 pm

So great to hear from you again. Catch us up when you have time. Did you decide against the injection?
June
June

Postby marymac » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:00 am

Thank you my dears. The injection hasn't happened yet, can't get past the side effects. Is it stupid on my part to try to keep my bones healthy without anymore "new" injections pumped into me? The side effects aren't worth the "cure" and a wise woman on this board told me that years ago. . . She was right. I do not think I can take the injection after reading the side effects. ANY input would be welcomed.

Thank you friends. Have the best day you can.
Marymac

marymac

Postby wendi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Well hello to you too! I've not been around too much either. Much going on around my business.

For what it's worth, if what you were on was working well with no side effects, why can't you stay on it?

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby marymac » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 am

Hi Wendi:
The Forteo is a 2 year program and they will not let you take any more than that. The side effects vs. the bone strength/growth were absolutely worth it for me. I used to get compression fractures in my feet from walking(all 100 pounds of me), and felt like my fingers would snap if I played piano. Now, am so much stronger (more than 40% bone density growth) and I'm walking (when my hip allows) and playing piano is a full body workout! I would recommend it to my friends, hands down. But now, they want to inject Prolea and I still can't wrap my head around the side effects. I believe diet, calcium supplements and exercise will be my drug of choice for the osteo. . . Thanks and so good to hear from you.
Smiles and hugs
Marymac

marymac

Postby wendi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:48 am

Oh, I understand now. Well, I agree if the cure is worse than what's ailing you, don't do it. I know there are ton's of osteo drugs on the market, but diet and supplements are great too. I have a problem tho as I can't seem to absorb Vit D. I take 1000 mg of the stuff and my levels stay around 17, which is not good. My calcium is good, but my Dad had osteoperitis, so it runs in my family and since I just turned 50, I need to be careful. Funny, as soon as I turned 50, the heat flases started.

You keep checking in with us as we miss you. I'm one to talk as I have only been around sporadically.

Take care and hugs to you too!

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby June » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi Wendi,

Yes you are one to talk, you and Marymac both. I hope we will hear more often from you both in the future. Miss you!
June

Postby marymac » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 am

Thank you June, Wendi, Reedy so much for your input. I can not get past the side effects of Prolea so have decided NOT to have it, regardless if it's "free" or not. Forteo did help the osteoperosis, but have had enough: the company only allows you to be on it for 2 years. Milk, Caltrate +D and food will be my osteo cure because I don't feel strong enough to fight off even one of the side effects. Am I foolish/stupid? I think we SMers get tired of thinking and thus the indecision; makes me feel weak. I've never been wishy-washy before but I just don't know what to do. Anybody on Prolea?
Thanks all, have the best week you can.
Gentle hugs, big fake smiles, and good wishes to all
Marymac

marymac

Postby June » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Marymac -- I've just looked up Prolia, and the side effects sound pretty bad--some sound just like SM. I agree. I wouldn't do it either. Maybe diet and calcium tabs, and as much exercise as you can manage will do the trick. Can you go back to the other drug after some period of time, maybe a few years?
June

Postby marymac » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 am

Going to get a dexascan Monday, and then will make decision on the shot (prolea).

Also, hope 3rd time is the charm: going to file again, this time with Allsup, later today, if they will take me. I'll be back. . . xoxo
Marymac

marymac

Postby June » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 am

Marymac --Good luck on all fronts. I hear Allsup know their stuff. Keep us posted.

xoxo
June

Postby razzle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 am

as you know I have osteoporosis too and have tried 5 things also givng terrible side effects . Dr just ended up telling me to take a Vit d supplement and well will test each yr ...

Husband got approved in 4 months by Allsup .. great company
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders