Symptomatic SM and pregnancy complications?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Symptomatic SM and pregnancy complications?

Postby sciart » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 am

Hi, New to the site but looking for any information on risks to pregnancy that SM can present. I am 36 and this is my first- we actually just found out so I am only about 6 weeks along.
I was diagnosed with SM C5-T3 a year ago after many years of debilitating headaches, intermittent numbness in arms and extreme mid-back pain. I am aware that C-section is recommended, but
was curious if there is any information on risks to the fetus in terms of miscarriage? I have variable heart rate and body temp with the SM. I actually had thought I wouldnt be able to get pregnant easily
but apparently God had something else in mind :)

Any insight or personal experience would be appreciated!
B
sciart

Re: Symptomatic SM and pregnancy complications?

Postby DEN » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 am

Not too long ago, one of the SM/CM doctors gave a teleconference about pregnancy: http://www.asap.org/index.php/disorders ... -seminars/ Contact ASAP president, Patrice Schaublin. She may have a copy of the talk.
Supporter of a loved one with SM.
DEN

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:37 am

Congrats!!! What a great surprise. I know all to well the mixed feelings. I have two boys 5 and almost 1. Got diagnosed with cm and sm (whole cord) when ds1 was 2. I most certainly had both conditions while preg with him but did not know. Had emergency c-section with him and both of us came out fine. Fast forward 4 years and dh and I decided to try for another. Much thought went into this bc of my condition but we went for it. Had a great preg no complications with the sm which I was thrilled about. In consultation with the ns and anesithist we opted for another c-section with a spinal for anesthesia. Not much research out there for what's safest. This is what we could come up with.
The c-section wasn't easy. Had moments where my blood pressure dropped to my boots then after some meds skyrocketed. Neither of us know if it was from the sm or bc I'm sensitive to meds (I rarely take even Tylenol). No lasting effects from the preg. I'm going for my first follow up MRI since the preg so I guess that'll show too (I have a syringo pleural shunt as well).
I wish you well with your pregnancy! I hope thee are no complications and you can enjoy this miracle! I feel incredibly blessed to have 2 healthy boys and a relitively unscathed mama Pm if you wish to chat more!
Andrea

Postby hegnauea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am

Congratulations! I was diagnosed in 2008 and had my first in 2009 at the age of 35. I got pregnant again this year at the age of 37 but lost the pregnancy at 13 weeks. My miscarraige was do to a chromosonal disorder that had been identified and we were in the process of figuring out which one it was, when I lost the pregnancy (which is common in those situations). It was not due to SM. My SM symptoms were significantly better during both pregnancies. Now if only I wasn't nauseous the whole time! I am not aware of any direct risks to the baby.

For your c-section - I would recommend two things

1) Get a letter from your neurosurgeon with his recommendation for this surgery. Mine basically wrote that I have this syrinx, its in the c-spine, I'm cleared for epidural.

2) asking your OBGyn about an anesthesia consult. My anesthesiologist was not pleased about me telling him about my SM a few minutes before getting wheeled into the OR(he had been faxed my chart weeks earlier, but you know how that goes). For ME, he made a game time decision to do all epidural vs. this hospital's normal protocal of spinal + epi. But everyone is going to be different here. It is possible that the anesthesiologist will get completely freaked by putting anything into the spinal area and push for general. Which might be the safest thing for you, everyone is different. You just don't want to be having that conversation at the last minute. Anyway just my recommendation to avoid surprises.

Good luck!
Ab
hegnauea

Postby Tanya2 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi all,
I know I am chiming in on this a little late. I would have to agree that both of those recommendations are good ones! I had my daughter prior to dx and I had no complications from SM except fluctuating blood pressure. Congratulations!!
Tanya Ferguson BSc. MET
SM-C5-T12
Osteoarthritis C2-C6 T8-T12
Central herniations C4, C5 ,C7
Buldging disc L4-L5
Tanya2

Postby Andrea » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:38 am

Tanya2 wrote:Hi all,
I know I am chiming in on this a little late. I would have to agree that both of those recommendations are good ones! I had my daughter prior to dx and I had no complications from SM except fluctuating blood pressure. Congratulations!!

I agree. I has both a letter from the ns and a consult. She knew how muc I wanted to stay awake for ds2 birth and worked her butt off for it
Andrea

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders