CM symptoms worse with age?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

CM symptoms worse with age?

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello all, this is my first post on here.

I was recently diagnosed with CM type 1 on June 12th and with all the research I've done I'm worried if my symptoms will worsen as I grow older (I'm 23). Right now I have daily stiffness and soreness in my neck and shoulders (I have 3 bulged discs in my neck), night sweats, restlessness in my right arm, slight numbness in my right hand, fatigue, and nausea.

Can anyone provide me some insight/comfort?
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Re: CM symptoms worse with age?

Postby Rachael » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi,
I was diagnosed with cm/sm over 10 years ago & Although it has become more symptomatic over the years I think it has more to do with extremely stressful situations that I've found myself in than anything else. Most peoples health gets worse as they get older anyway so why should those of us with long-term health conditions fare any worse? Msg me if u wanna chat, understand how u feel, spent a long time talking myself round (I was 23 when diagnosed too) ;-) x
Rachael

Postby TabulaRasa » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Apparently I'm not allowed to send private messages? But yes I would love to have someone to talk with. My parents get annoyed with me whenever I bring a new symptom up and my dad thinks its all the result of my "dope". So yeah, I don't have a lot of people to chat with.

The reason for my concern is that I'm entering grad school for my Master's and then my PhD so stress will be a daily thing no matter what!! I worry that I won't have stamina enough for my schooling.
TabulaRasa

Postby razzle » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am

go to "Control panel " click on Board Prefences and there you can click either to send and recieve messages ...
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby reedy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 am

Hi TablaRasa (good name, by the way!)

I have SM only, not CM, so my experience might be different, but for me I went through a very rough patch some years ago with lots of night sweats, should/neck pain, etc, then it all shifted. No longer have sweats, and my pain level is not high, but I do have all kinds of other symptoms I could bore you with! Its a changing landscape. Try to stay active, walking, moving as much as possible without overdoing it. Its very difficult coming to terms with limitations. I'm still not completely adjusted to the reality of my handicaps - I'm still quite convinced that I can do more than in reality I can or should do. But that's how I cope - I guess its a constructive denial.

You will probably find grad school a challenge, but not necessarily an insurmountable one. You will have to pace yourself very carefully. Its hard to do brain work when you are in a brain fog. I'm also an academic so I know a bit about it. There are at least a couple of others on the forum. Actually, any job is difficult with this handicap. I'm always impressed by the people here who have kids and manage to keep up with them somehow....ensuring they have an understanding family that doesn't expect too much of them.

Reedy
reedy

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 am

Well I'm glad you have found my post! Did you ever have to document your disability for school purposes? I'm going to a Catholic institution so hopefully they'll be more understanding than maybe a big state school. I just know that I can't sit or stand for long periods of time. At work, I have to get up and down a lot but it's easier there (I work with 16 teenagers so I'm one of those who can keep up with the kids!!) So far everyone I've had to tell has been very understanding. With the fogginess, I hope that goes away once I get back into my academic routine; I haven't had to use my brain much over the summer since I'm not in classes for once.
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders