Dr. Oz or The Doctors?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Dr. Oz or The Doctors?

Postby JeffinMI77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm

I've read alot of post lately about the lack of knowlegde of our conditions. We all seem to experience common issues, one being that eveyone thinks that we are crazy. We are so crazy that a person on the other side of the country is experiencing the same thing and we have never met! lol.

So my though is; what if we banded together and contacted one of the TV shows to see if they could do a segment on us? Maybe bring some attention to what we are going through. Maybe a stepping stone for more research?

I would rather hear " oh yeah I heard about that on Dr. Oz" rather than seeing someone eyes roll back.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jeff
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Re: Dr. Oz or The Doctors?

Postby karenb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Jeff,

If my memory holds, I think "The Doctors" just did an episode on Tethered Cord this week (Yes... I watched the Today show for 4 hours after getting home from the ER... I think I heard the "teaser" then...).

Karen

P.S. There was a "House" episode awhile ago about CM/SM, and it totally got things wrong... a lot of folks were upset then...
karenb

Postby JeffinMI77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes I watched the segment on teathered cords on the Doctors, but we need specifically syringomyelia.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby June » Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Jeff -- I think anything that brings attention to SM (anything legal!) would be a good idea. There appears to be little attention, research, etc. for us or our malady. Someone has suggested that we need a movie star or rock star with SM to get us going. Look at Parkinson's, for example. But so far, we don't have anyone. Nor do we have an angel willing to give us lots of money for research.

But I like your idea--why not pursue it? Write some letters, make some calls, get a twitter thing going with lots of people. I don't know--we just need to get the word out. I, too, am tired of people looking at me with incomprehension when I say I have syringomyelia, ESPECIALLY HEALTH CARE WORKERS!!! They should know.

June
June

Postby JeffinMI77 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 am

I agree with you June, but look at how many people replied or commented to my post. I think it would take more than just one of two people.
JeffinMI77

Postby pmaxwell » Wed May 09, 2012 10:43 am

Here is the contact for the Dr OZ show. When you get to the subject, select "I have an idea for a segment" then type in syringomyelia and Chiari. Post the information on your facebook page too so your family and friends can help.

http://www.doctoroz.com/contact
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby Janice » Thu May 10, 2012 1:52 am

There is an older post about everyone banning together and contacting these shows. Folks actually called but no one, specifically the shows you mentioned, were interested. Maybe a search on shows, or banning together, might bring the older post up so you could view the feedback that was received, it was not very positive.

It doesn't hurt to keep trying, my intent was only to let you know this has been done before. It was a great idea then, more people were involved, and it's still a great idea. I hope more people do pop in and get involved.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Dcuster » Wed May 16, 2012 1:14 pm

ok I sent a message to Dr. Oz on this hope it helps.
SM t10-T12 2.5 x 1.1 cm in dia, thorasic shunt 2002,
Pineal Cyst, C5-C6 fusion 2005, Lumbar L2-L6 w/4 level fusion with hardware 2006, adrenal gland tumor, 7-8 thyroid nodules, 2008 C4-C7 Corepectomy with hardware.
Dcuster

Postby JeffinMI77 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I've been away from the site for awhile, but I did contact the Dr. Oz show via the link provided. I also fowarded the message the was started on the Facebook page. I know I have ton's of family and friends that I begged to do this. I know many responded. Not sure what the outcome was once it trickled down.
JeffinMI77

Postby taichi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:32 pm

She's not a rock star but Rosanne Cash, songwriter has had cm and sm for 10 years. I think she just had surgery in the last year.
taichi

Return to ASAP Lounge