Neurontin Tolerance?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Neurontin Tolerance?

Postby gunflint » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to build a tolerance to neurontin? The reason I'm asking is that it has been pretty successful in treating the burning pain in my left arm. I've been taking 1800 mgs a day for about a year and rarely feel the burning, however over the last few days the burning sensation seems to be returning with a vengeance. It's more intense and covers a larger area than in the past. Should I talk to my GP about increasing the dosage or could this be an uptick in CM/SM symptoms? Thanks.
gunflint

Re: Neurontin Tolerance?

Postby razzle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 am

yes you can raise the dosage.... do yu have 300 mg tabs ? When I was on it my dr gave me 300 mg tabs and I just kept adding till I felt good....
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm

I started on 300s but changed over to 600s because I was getting tired of taken all those dang pills. My GP is out of town but I have a extra supply so I'll add an extra 600 a day and see what happens. Thanks. P.S. Don't tell my GP.
gunflint

Postby razzle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 am

my lips are sealed..
:lol:
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby jjames » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:22 pm

My ns said to start low and basically add until it works. I have had to increase several times but have reached my "max dose" for my size and everything.
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:41 am

You can always try to increase the dose slowly. See after the first increase from the dose after 3 days what it did. After that, when there is à slight improvement, you can increase again, little by little. Take very small steps. If it doesn't work go back in very small steps again, otherwise you can get trouble with withdrawel.

When it doesn't work, go to your GP. You may need then some other medication or some more medication added.
Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:23 am

I am in the same position with my Depakine, I don't know the word for it in English. I have a lot of fasciculations, myoclonias, spasms. In 2006 they were evaluated by à neurophyscian in another Hospital. The outcome was: spinal myoclonias due to Syringomyelia. I was given Depakine and Clonazepam. They gradually upped the dossage to 1250mg per day, and the Clonazepam to 4 times a day 0,5mg. Now my myoclonias and spasms are so intense that I actually need more. But I am not an epileptic, so my NS sent me to a neurologist who is familiair with movement disorder. That was last Monday. I was being examined for 3 hours, 3 hours with spasms and myoclonias etc. After that the professor was asked to take a look, and again all those test.

A pity was that this professor is not familiair with SM. Now they are thinking I have to go to a psychologist to learn to deal with this! He also said that I have to go out and do more sports?....What was he thinking? If I could do that I certainly would have done that a long time ago! I love sports, most of them swimming, walking, playing tennis and field hockey. All of that I had to give up because of my SM, which runs from C4 down to the conus medularis. It has gradually become so large, it is idiopathic. And that is not the only problem with my back. I have a thoracic herniation, on which my NS don't want to operate, I have synovial cysts at l5, have been operated in october last year and after that it grew back within 3 month till twice the size it was in october, so I had à second op in February. Now the problems are back again. 5 th of August I have a MRI.

I was so overwhelmed by his reaction and couldn't say anything against it. I also learned my lesson, never go alone to a appointment. This time I had to, because in Holland the holidays have started, so there was nobody who could join me. My DH is a Gastro-Enterologist and couldn't leave his patients.

There is one more thing about the diagnosis. This NL found out that I am hypermobile! Could that be a clue in my journey to find the cause of my syrinx? I also have several hemangioma's, my Ns said to look at those as if I have some bruises......

Sorry to have broken into your topic!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby reedy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 am

syrinx48 wrote:.... I also learned my lesson, never go alone to a appointment. ....

Hi Annemarie, I'm really sorry to read about your continuing problems. As you know, I've been reading your posts for many years now.

Your comment that I quoted above is really important, and easy to forget. I know it, probably have said it to others, yet I'm heading off to Washington on my own for my checkup appt. I can't take the DH 'cuz airfares are huge at this time of year, especially coming from London right around the time of the Olympics. I thought maybe I would Skype him in, if that's OK, but its by far a second best to having someone there. Normally I have quite a few contacts in DC, but by happenstance, everyone is out of town that week. Hmmmm.....you have got me thinking....
reedy

Postby gunflint » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 am

Annemarie,
Don't worry about thread drift here. We are all in the same boat and sometimes questions or thoughts come up in a thread and it's better to go with them. Although if it's something that's very important to you it may be better to start a new thread. The reason is that sometimes threads get skipped by members. I know that there are a lot of threads about kids and I have a hard time with those so I generally skip over them as I have little in the way of help to offer their parents and it's just heart breaking sometimes. At least for me.

Reedy,
I'm sure that you all ready do this but when I see Dr. Heiss I have a list of questions in a notebook. I also write down his answers. I know that it slows him down a bit but he doesn't seem to mind. I have an appointment to see him in October. Good Luck.
gunflint

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders