Feeling ill, lack of energy....

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Feeling ill, lack of energy....

Postby emmacos » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 am

Hi All,

My daughter Helen has been ill now for a few months, it started in Feb with her getting constant very bad headaches, where the only respite she got was by lying down.... she ended up in our local hospital where they did an icp pressure monitor check, and this showed she had low pressure.... these headaches persisted, she came home... she is now waiting for csf infusion flow studies to be done at another hospital, hopefully next month...

The thing now is that although her headache seems to have more or less gone, just niggly ones now and again, she still feels ill, has no energy and has nausea which comes and goes - she cant do much at all, and is just sitting or lying down for most of the day...

Does anyone have any idea why these ill, low energy feelings are persisting when her headaches have more or less gone?

Emma.x
emmacos

Re: Feeling ill, lack of energy....

Postby razzle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Mabye some Vit c or B vitamins can help with energy . Her Iron levels could be low too.. She has been thru quit a ordeal , poor thing ... tell her to try some Orange juice and maybe B12 ..hope this ends for her soon. Iron is necessary for the blood to carry oxygen to different parts of the body. Lack of it makes the muscles very tired... hope this ends for Helen soon. sending a hug to her......
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

What meds does she take? And when?
gunflint

Postby emmacos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:58 am

Shes taking quite a few meds... and I think she's feeling quite despressed with feeling so unwell for so long!

Maybe a trip to the docs to review her meds, and also some vitamins - iron and B12 maybe?

Emma.x
emmacos

Postby syrinx48 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Dear Emma,

Yes let her bloodwork checked out. Also her vit D, B12, E, Iron, Hb, Kidney and Liver functions because of medication use. let also check on hashimoto desease. T4, TSH, etc.

You also must know that she has been for à long time sick again. That can also takes its toll on someones psychic tolerance. Perhaps it all has become too much.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby karenb » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Dear Emma,

Illness and depression definitely do seem to go hand-in-hand, unfortunately, and depression can have a major impact on energy levels.

Speaking from my own experience, I've been hypothyroid for years, but also tend to be chronically low in the Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin D departments. Probably the biggest impact I felt was from dealing with the Vitamin D deficiency, but they all play a role. In addition, antidepressants can also help with some of this.

Best wishes from the southwestern US!

Karen
karenb

Postby emmacos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Karen,

I think we'll get Helen checked out at the doctors for any deficiencies in vitamin levels...

Thanks. Emma.x
emmacos

Postby toport20 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Emma,

Sorry to hear of your daughters problems. Everyone on here has given good advice. I just wanted to let you know, I suffer the same symptoms also, but I have Chiari and Syringomyelia too- with no headache. Maybe if the first things you try do not work you can keep this in mind. It's all a process of elimination! Good luck!
Pre OP:
SM 3mm C3-L1
Tonsillar Herniation 5mm due to TCS
TCS Surgery TCI 6-6-08
ICT 6-7-08

Post OP: 2011-MRI
CM 8mm
SM C2-C6 9mm

PFD done in May 2012
Arachnoiditis found
toport20

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:32 pm

I was thinking hypothyroid too. So little energy that even laying down is exhausting.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby toport20 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Emma,

I posted before on this link. Since then, I have been to my new endocrinologist. She did a large blood workup on me. The thing she found was low cortisol and low ACTH plasma. I have been wondering for awhile about my pituitary, because chiari can affect the gland.

I'm just letting you know because I feel the same, and have been having menstrual issues too. I also just learned my pituitary gland is smashed like a pancake, which isn't great but think if everything else straightens out in the brain it can eventually go back to normal. Just a FYI, and keep us posted!!!

Tracy
Pre OP:
SM 3mm C3-L1
Tonsillar Herniation 5mm due to TCS
TCS Surgery TCI 6-6-08
ICT 6-7-08

Post OP: 2011-MRI
CM 8mm
SM C2-C6 9mm

PFD done in May 2012
Arachnoiditis found
toport20