marijuana for pain management?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: marijuana for pain management?

Postby vframe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:13 pm

reedy wrote:The big leafy bunches of marijuana in the film made me laugh. Where can you get such nice looking greens, as big as a cabbage?!

The biochemical explanation of how its different when you don't heat it, avoiding making it psychoactive, sounded plausible. They do slip into saying something about it being 'more natural and therefore better for you' in an unprocessed state. That kind of thinking is palpable nonsense. Marijuana did not evolve to help humans, so whether its better processed or unprocessed is not determined from how it grows. And obviously, some people consider the psychoactive state far preferable, so there is a value judgement in there that we also don't need to address. I expect most people on this site, who would be interested in using medical marijuana to help them return to a more normal life, would be most interested in the non-psychoactive form.

so reedy, have you tried any forms of MM and if so did you find any benefit r/t your pain? i have not, yet, but if i can find enough proof from "real" people who i know have true pain diagnosis, and aren't afraid to tell me of their experiences, i am considering it, i just don't know the inhalation form, trending more for the juice i think??? all i know is i am tired of popping pills that aren't really working.

thanks
vframe

Postby reedy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 am

I haven't tried MM, but my pain levels are probably not yet at a level where it would be worth trying it. I'm able to control it will a low dose of OxyNorm in the evenings, lots of coffee during the day. I expect my problems to increase in the future, however, (they have progressed consistently since I've been diagnosed) so I'm keeping my eye on the many things that might help, so I can ask appropriate questions to as many informed people as possible along the way.

Has anyone raised this question at one of the Syringomyelia conferences? Have there been any research studies on it? Perhaps it would be a good use of resources to get someone to work on this from a strict evidence-based perspective.
reedy

Postby vframe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 pm

reedy, what does the coffee do for you?
and i think it would be a good idea to approach the syringomyelia conference, but who would we go to to do that, i am still new to the site and not sure of the ins/outs and who to go to? but, if, i have been told this or read it somewhere, if there are already experiments being done on certain strains of it why will our government not approve it? i am being fecitious, i know that answer, it would do away with too many pain meds and wipe out the income of our pharma companies. sorry, being synical right now but i have not been pain free in so very long and it is getting so very old.
vframe

Previous

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders