Pain mgmt doc says NO to 30 mg Oxycontin...

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Pain mgmt doc says NO to 30 mg Oxycontin...

Postby June » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 pm

My pain management doctor has changed my Oxycontin prescription from one 30mg tab 4x daily to one 40mg tab 3x daily. Now if my basic math still serves me correctly, this is the same amount of narcotic, just different delivery. The effect, however is not the same. For the first few hours I am groggy, then the effect wears off, and I have pain at the 7 to 8 level or worse. My doc said to take oxycodone for break-through pain, so I take 20-40 mg, which helps for an hour or two, but my pain level is never as low (4-5) as before. And I am taking MORE narcotics than before.

I have a call in to this doctor, trying to get her to go back to the original prescription. She gave me the excuse that Oxycontin is not supposed to be taken 30mg 4x per day, and my insurance company would no longer pay for it. I've checked with Aetna, and they are not the problem, so she lied (was mistaken?) about that.

Has anyone come across this issue? Have you heard anything about Oxycontin supposed to be taken a certain way? I can't imagine why she is doing this to me. Although I have wondered in the past couple of years if she would like to get rid of me.
June

Re: Pain mgmt doc says NO to 30 mg Oxycontin...

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 am

Hi June,

I haven't come to this issue, but know what you mean. The Oxycodone are long working, but not 8 hours as she prescribed yet. You need them every 6 hours. I am getting oxynorm, also à breakthrough narcotic, and I am able to take them until 6 à day. When it comes to that, I have to change my fentanyl pflaster to à higher dose. Are you able to get fentanyl pflasters in combination with the oxycodon? I must say for me it helps à lot. I need less oxynorm and the pflaster stays 25ug per 2 days. after a while, every 4month I am going to Hospital for à ketamine infusion (drip) that will last 3 days hospitalisation. After that I can do without THE oxynorm, Most of the time I need them after 6 à 8 weeks after THE ketamine. I noticed that Syringomyelia patients are getting ketamine more and more in Holland. It is also prescribed in à crème. Perhaps it is something you can talk about with your pain mgmt doc?

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby wendi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:12 pm

I don't know why she would mess with what is working well for you and lie about your insurance. You would know what your insurance would or wouldn't pay for. The pharmacy would tell you when you went in to get your script. Giving you a higher does less times a day is stupid!

I would tell her it isn't working and if she won't switch you back, start looking for a Dr. who will listen to you and treat you with respect.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby June » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Wendi,

Long time--did you sell your agency? Are you feeling better these days?

About once a year I get so furious with this doctor that I swear I'm going to quit her--this is just the latest in a long line of stupid things she has done. But it is also the worst. Unfortunately, she is the least offensive pain mgmt. doctor around here. At least she doesn't make me pee in the corner. That sounds odd, but the last clinic I tried required that every patient do drug testing, and for that they had set up a special toilet in a main hallway partially enclosed--open top and bottom--with no sink and a plastic folding door. You used the toilet, then went outside into the hallway and used a sink--in front of whoever happened to be walking by and choosing to listen. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I'll forgo that pleasure every 2 months.

Other doctors haven't had such primitive facilities, but they do require that you bring in unused narcotics, and they make sure that you have exactly enough tabs to get you through until the next appointment. If you have to change an appointment--you could be in trouble. That kind of obsessiveness I just couldn't live with. So I've put up with this doctor. But I'm re-thinking that decision AGAIN now. She has never actually made me worse before.

And I found out this afternoon that she has not even gotten my message yet--she is working at a different facility, and I won't hear from her until next Tuesday--5 days since I left the message!
June

Postby wendi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 am

Hi June:

Allstate won't let me sell to an existing agent. Too many agents are leaving and they don't want less signs on the street so they want me to sell to an outside buyer which I won't as they made me mad. Now I'm taking severance and opening an IA. Independant agency. It will be less overhead, I can work when I want and make much more money. I can go after my clients in a year and it will just be better all around. I'm not sick enough for DI and can't get a job that I could call off from, so this is my best option. I have researched this and this is truly a good option for me. I can run the new place with my severence and bank my new commish and by the following year get my old clients back. Allstate premiums are so high, I wil have no problems.

I hate hearing about your problems. I hope you have heard from your pain mgt Dr by now.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby June » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Wendi--I always love to hear when a woman outsmarts the big guys. Sounds like you've got it figured out in your best interests. Good luck with the plan.

Yes, I've heard from the doc--she says (through her assistant) try it awhile longer and see if it gets better. It wasn't broken to start with, so she broke it and now wants to experiment with fixing it. Makes me furious. So I made an appointment for next week--as soon as she would see me--and meanwhile the pain just keeps on paining.

Thanks for the support.
June

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 am

Hi June,

I was thinking, do you have a tablet divider? If so, you can divide each 40mg tablet (when it is a tablet and not capsules) into 4 parts (1 quarter is 10mg) and take 3 parts every time. That would make 30mg. Then you have 4 times a quart left over for the 4th gift, so that will be 4 times 30mg.....It won't be that accurate, but I hope that it will help a bit for managing your painlevels.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby wendi » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:38 am

Annemarie is so smart. It isn't very accurate, but might work. I only worry that sometimes they put all the medicine in one part of the pill. I've heard that, so just be careful.

Take care,
Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby June » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Annemarie and Wendi--That might work, but both the doctor and the pharmacist have warned me not to break or chew the pills. They are slow-release so I guess it has something to do with how they are made. I'm afraid to do it--although I suppose I could try it once. I suppose the worst would be that I'd just get no benefit at all--so, lesson learned.

Thanks for the suggestion.
June

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders