Which length is more accurate?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Which length is more accurate?

Postby lisadoni » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

My son's brain MRI reported a Chiari with a herniation of 24.98mm, but the spine MRI he had a month later says it was 30mm. A different radiologist did each report.
lisadoni

Re: Which length is more accurate?

Postby alpowers01 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:49 pm

I would focus on symptoms and their progression, rather than concern myself a whole lot with extent of herniation. It's my understanding that the significance of herniation extent is in doubt. There are patients with Chiari 0 (no herniation) and patients with extensive herniation that are asymptomatic while others have pronounced symptoms. Also, I cannot fathom how/why a radiologist would report out a 24.98 mm measurement. There's no way the value can be determined this precisely. While a 5 mm difference could easily result from variance in the positioning of the patient during the two MRI procedures, my prediction is that the two values, 25 mm and 30. mm, agree within the limits of measurement uncertainty and are not really different at all.
alpowers01

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders